Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Stop comparing Joe Burrow to Dalton
So this is something that caught on in the media that for the life of my I simply cannot understand.  A member of these forums posted this on a thread today and I wrote up a short response, but I figured I would bring this into a new thread for a small breakdown of Burrow.

andy dalton - 6'2"
burrow - 6'4"

last year of college stats

Dalton - 2857 yrds - 27 td - 6int - accuracy 68% - yards per attempt 9
Burrow - 5208 - 55 td - 6 int - accuracy 78% - yards per attempt 11

I will do a full breakdown sometime over the next week showing the differences in their running, pocket presence, throwing motion, reads, arm strength.  The two are worlds apart when you actually watch the tape and do research.  I'm not a rah rah QB guy and never have been on these forums,  Lamar Jackson was the only guy I've mocked to the team in the last 5 years.  That said Joe Burrow is on another level than these other guys.

here are a few things to wet your whistle

article on arm strength

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/lsu-football/joe-burrow-explains-why-urban-meyer-told-him-he-threw-like-a-girl/

What I love about this article is that Burrow doesn't deflect the issue, but worked to improve it.  As he physically matures it will increase further.

Here is an example of arm strength, but feel free to watch the full video to see all aspects of his game.

If I had one concern with Joe Burrow is that he still doesn't have the absolute perfect throwing motion to reach his full arm strength and he sometimes takes to many steps on the release, but these are easy things to fix with coaching because his fundamentals are already so good.  A NFL comparison as far as throwing motions are concerned I would compare him to is Peyton Manning.  Brady is damn near a clone when it comes to body types with the kid, but Brady takes much larger steps and releases like a baseball pitcher.  Joe Burrow typically stands a bit higher and takes a shorter last step, but this may be a result of his willingness to move out of the pocket and/or run.  

If you compare the pass on the burrow video to the last throw shown on the manning video you can see fundamentally how good his motion is, but vertically he doesn't lower enough to get that full engagement of arm strength like manning did.  Burrow's release is super fast and he throws tight spirals with pinpoint accuracy so on the NFL level this will transfer very well.  

Anywho like I said I will do a full write up probably after the combine when we have measurable's and hopefully, he throws at the combine and pro day which will give us even a better look at all his throwing mechanics.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Stop comparing Joe Burrow to Dalton - Okeana - 01-02-2020, 01:58 PM