Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Stop comparing Joe Burrow to Dalton
(01-07-2020, 11:43 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I don't disagree with anything that you said.

However, I think it's safe to say the bolded does not apply to Burrow, who ran an absolute gamut in this past year in terms of competitive teams.

And, as far as someone who puts in the work, studies, etc, I've read that Burrow is, in every conceivable way, that player. So that doesn't concern me either. 

As far as the receivers argument, there's no doubt that LSU has great receivers. But you have to wonder...

How did Jefferson go from a 54 rec/875 yd/8 TD WR in his sophomore year to a 102/1434/18 WR in his junior year?
How did Chase go from a 23/313/3 WR to 75/1559/18 WR in one year?
What about Moss going from 6/49/1 to 42/534/2?
Or Marshall Jr who went from 12/192/0 to 43/625/12?

Jefferson and Moss, in particular, were just 3 star recruits.
Chase was no push over, as a 4 star recruit, but it's not like any of these guys were projected to be stars in college necessarily.
Marshall Jr is the exception, as he was a top 10 recruit, but he wasn't the primary motor of this offense either.

And these players' increase in production isn't because there was someone ahead of them taking up most of the stats that graduated.
In 2018, Jefferson was LSU's leading receiver, with the next highest being TE Stephen Sullivan, with 375 yards.

The 2018 LSU offense, with virtually the same receivers, was significantly less prolific than it was this year.

Burrow was obviously in his first year starting last year and he was serviceable, but not great. His QB rating in 2018 was 133.2. Right between where Jacob Eason and Jordan Love are this year (143.2 and 129.1, respectively).

He elevated his receivers' play just as much as they elevated his. 

Like you said, chemistry. Work. Study. Effort.

These are all things Burrow and his receivers displayed between 2018 and 2019.

I have no doubt that Burrow will only continue in his pursuit of greatness in the NFL with the Bengals next year.

Any player entering a pro sport should want to continue to be great. Some players don't have any luck and end up injured. Others simply land with the wrong coaches/team and their career takes longer to take off. Some players slide the scheme doesn't fit their play style. The reality is if Burrow is the starter next year, getting around 5-6 wins would be a blessing. And the following year getting 8 wins would also be a blessing as the sophmore slump tends to kick in for most QBs. Year 3 is where he should blossom. Can the fanbase be that patient with the team, go another 2 more years of probably having losing seasons? 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Stop comparing Joe Burrow to Dalton - MEBengalsFan - 01-07-2020, 03:43 PM