Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Duke Tobin on why the Bengals didn't trade veteran players
(01-24-2020, 03:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It is not that easy to sign decent free agents at a reasonable cost.  NFL teams re-sign their best players, so generally there are some issues with the ones who do become free agents.  And often their price is determined more by the number of good players available at a specific position than the actual talent of the players.

Free agents are not as big of a gamble as draft picks but they are A LOT more expensive.  So when a free agent is a bust with his new team it is much more costly.  And a lot more of them flop than people seem to realize.

Ideally teams want to develop their own players for there own coaches/schemes and only depend on free agency for one or two spots a year.  

Yes I know, and being who we are, we will need to pay well. The money is there, don't let them fool you.

OFC teams re-sign their best, but sometimes they can't because of salaries and by prioritizing who they sign first.
Here's a perfect example:
Dallas
Dak Prescott
Byron Jones
Amari Cooper
Michael Bennett
Robert Quinn

Dallas will lose a couple of these guys.

If it was me, I'd be ready to send Cooper & Jones, and possibly Bennett contract offers as soon as the FA period starts, if they aren't retained.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Duke Tobin on why the Bengals didn't trade veteran players - Mike M (the other one) - 01-24-2020, 04:07 PM