Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Duke Tobin on why the Bengals didn't trade veteran players
(01-29-2020, 11:56 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I agree Alexander was responsible scouting and coaching. But, he wasn’t responsible for negotiating contracts, re-signing veterans, or building the roster and the people responsible for that are still around.

Well yeah I don't think The Family are going to fire themselves.  LOL No argument there.

Tobin would be the only one they could and probably should have fired.

Alexander's ability to judge draft choices and coach them into replacing those players that he felt strongly were the future of the O-Line directly affected some of their signing decisions.

Many forget that he got the assistant HC job because they really listened to his input.

Paul Alexander and his immense ego not only weighed heavily in guys like Fisher, Ogbuehi, but also our terrible Center position for years.

He'd stand on a table for Bodine and other fails?!?  It was a witch hunt for him???  GTFOH son. 

Like this BS...

With the fifth-round selection of Arizona State offensive lineman Christian Westerman, the Bengals added to their locker room a player who has experience playing offensive tackle and guard in college. Westerman was also worked out at center during the pre-draft process, and the Bengals project him as an interior lineman.

"He's tougher than hell," Alexander said. "He's the toughest kid in the draft.

"When he's the toughest guy in the draft, I put a nice box around [his name], and in this division, you have to. It's not for the feeble."

So what does the selection of tough, non-feeble Westerman mean for Bodine?

Could he one day take Bodine's job?

The short answer? No.

"Let me tell you about Bodine," Alexander said. "He's better than [Bengals guard Clint] Boling was after two years. He's similar to what [fellow Bengals guard Kevin] Zeitler was. Zeitler didn't start out all that great."

Pro Football Focus credited Bodine with a rather massive drop in pass-blocking efficiency between his first and second seasons. In 2014, he was 14th in pass-blocking efficiency, per PFF.

In 2015, he was 25th. He allowed 30 pressures on 571 pass-blocking snaps, according to PFF, and he also registered nine penalties, which was the third-most among league centers.

Still, Alexander is standing by his man.

"This is a young player who's playing with a bunch of veterans who are very good offensive linemen, and he's the last one right now because he's the youngest," Alexander said of the 23-year-old.

"But I don't care what anyone else says.   I think Bodine's going to be a hell of a player."

I think the only way this team can recover on O-Line, is if they have competent coaching to evaluate draft choices.

I'm not sold on Zac and his buds for doing this either.

We already know the FO is not going to do much at all there in Free Agency.  

The more we learn about Glenn(the best outside O-Line player they've made a move for)the realization sinks in that they took on someone else's headache for the most part.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Duke Tobin on why the Bengals didn't trade veteran players - BengalsRocker - 01-29-2020, 01:25 PM