Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Famous people from your (small) hometown
This is mostly for people from small towns.

I was raised in Franklin OH, but I have not lived there since 1981. The population was around 11,000 when I lived there. I just saw an episode of the ESPN show "Backstory" that dealt with Pete Rose. At one point they showed a list of all calls made from the Reds clubhouse (Marge Schott demanded a print out because she felt there were excessive calls). Several of the calls were to Franklin numbers. Pete's bookie, Ron Peters, ran a restaurant in Franklin called "Jonathans", and a girl I went to high school with actually dated Ron for a while.

So this got me looking to see what other "famous" people came from Franklin.

-Franklin's first mayor was Dr. Absalom Death who later became the director of a medical school in Cincinnati. He is not really famous, but how could I leave "Dr. Death" of this list.

-Professional Golfer Frank Lickliter won 2 PGA tour events and finished 4th in the 1998 PGA Championship.

-NBA player Luke Kennard was McDonalds All-American in high school, 2nd team All-American at Duke, this year he is the second leading scorer for the Detroit Pistons. I knew his dad Mark Kennard very well, we went to the same church and he was in my class in high school. he set all sorts of scoring records that Luke would break. Luke's mon, Suzi Hammock, was a year behind us. My freshman year in college I had moved to Tennessee, but I took road trip to watch Mark play for Georgetown (Kentucky, not D.C.), but after that I never kept in contact with him.

So no real famous people, but it is interesting to see how over many years even a small town will produce some people who have a national impact.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Famous people from your (small) hometown - fredtoast - 07-10-2020, 01:34 PM