Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should Catholic voters support Democrats?
(08-25-2020, 07:04 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I was raised Catholic, and attended Catholic school for elementary.  I personally wasn't a victim of a predatory Priest;  However, I found out many years later, that a cousin of my same age was abused as an Altar Boy.  Like many of my generation, I wandered from the church as a young man.  I tried going back in my late 20s through early 30s, but the more revelations of evidence of abuse and cover ups by the church that came to light, I just finally decided that the hypocrisy was too much for me.

The wisdom, spirituality and meaning behind all of the teachings of Catholicism, are why I'll never leave and my faith is as strong as ever; I really couldn't care less about what priests do behind closed doors. Indeed, it is beyond an atrocity for the children and I feel awful at even the thought of what goes on, but the priests are the ones that have to deal with the consequences and the afterlife; my relationship with God, the bible and the teachings therein, don't change because priests are pedophiles.

I eschew most of the non-universal, "rules and laws," (The 10 commandments, for example, are fairly universal) that exist in the bible, as (as I mentioned) they were a method of control used in medieval times, to ensure population control, reduced crime rates, etc.: I get the symbolism from everything, but it doesn't mean that you're a sinner if you think a chick is sexy, who isn't your wife.

Reading proverbs still puts me at great ease, as the wisdom and teachings in that book (a fair amount is common-sense) are just great to absorb and digest. Revelations is a great read and the symbolism contained therein is superb as well. Jesus, the prophets, David, the amount of life lessons and wisdom contained in their respective stories, is great stuff and Samson is a great story of redemption and faith.

The Old Testament rocks.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Should Catholic voters support Democrats? - Truck_1_0_1_ - 08-25-2020, 07:15 PM