Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Ross comp pick
(11-03-2020, 08:04 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: The compensentory pick forumula is complicated as hell.  I don't think anyone knows exactly how it works because the league has never provided the actual written details.  It's basically educated speculation as far as I know.

From what I understand, to even be eligible for them, you have to collectively lose more than you gain.  Meaning, if we go out and sign some free agents next season, they would have to be "less than" the players who depart for us to be eligible.  It's "total in" vs. "total out".

And even assuming that that happens (doubtful with our cap space), the picks you receive are based upon the contracts your departing players sign.  So if John Ross signs some small deal we'd get a super low pick

Thank you. Glad I am not the only one who thinks that formula is ridiculously complicated. I tried a few times to understand it, but it was as clear as muddy water. Only brought this up because Tyler reported the Bengals "plan" was to let him play out his contract. The usage of the word "plan" led me to believe they would get a better comp pick vs any potential trade offers. Sounds like that may not the case

Quote:[A] Compensatory Free Agent (“CFA”) shall be defined as an Unrestricted Free Agent (“UFA”) who: (i) signed with a new Club during the prior free agency signing period […] prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, on the Monday following the NFL Draft for that League Year1 […]; and (ii) ranked within the top 35%2 of all League players […]. Clubs that lose to other Clubs a greater number of CFAs than they sign or acquire from other Clubs shall be eligible to receive a Compensatory Draft Selection in the College Draft to be held in the following League Year subject to the provisions set forth below.

This part really confuses me

Quote:In plain English, if a team loses more players that qualify as CFAs than it signs during free agency, that team is eligible to be awarded compensatory picks in the following NFL draft.

It is important to note that only certain players qualify for the compensatory formula. Those are only players whose contracts expire. Players who are cut are the most common example of free agents ineligible to become CFAs, but other methods of disqualification, such as a Restricted Free Agent not given a tender, also exist. In its most general sense, players only become Compensatory Free Agents if they are free to leave their old team against that team’s will.

Ugh, I give up lol
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Ross comp pick - Hoofhearted - 11-03-2020, 07:21 PM
RE: Ross comp pick - Wes Mantooth - 11-03-2020, 08:04 PM
RE: Ross comp pick - Hoofhearted - 11-03-2020, 10:07 PM
RE: Ross comp pick - The Gooney Rule - 11-04-2020, 06:01 PM
RE: Ross comp pick - ochocincos - 11-04-2020, 06:13 PM
RE: Ross comp pick - treee - 11-03-2020, 08:19 PM
RE: Ross comp pick - Synric - 11-03-2020, 08:32 PM