Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What do we do if Sewell is gone at 3?
(12-21-2020, 04:15 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The top-rated defensive player in the draft right now is Patrick Surtain, CB Alabama. Micah Parsons, LB Penn St, is also close, but the Bengals don't value LB like that. There isn't a clear-cut pass rusher who stands out above the rest at this point, so probably not worth taking a pass rusher 3rd overall.

Would you be ok with the Bengals taking Surtain?

I'd be okay with the Bengals taking Surtain if he's a Denzel Ward type player. 

If we traded down a few spots to grab a pass rusher, I'd welcome that as well. But I'd be fine just drafting one if there's someone rising up the boards. For a premium position, other teams are willing to take a chance and draft a guy higher than he's slotted to go. If we trade down, we could certainly miss out. But maybe we still have a chance at another player that falls. So if the right trade is there for the taking, might be a good move.

Drafting a WR like Chase would be nice, but it wouldn't move the needle as much as investing in our defense or offensive line. We can have all the outside players in the world, but if we aren't good up front it won't matter much.

We have had tons of success drafting wideouts in the mid rounds. 
For the defensive line: We did hit on Geno in the 4th and Dunlap in the 2nd--but outside of those two, we've struggled mightily to replicate that success. I'd be more comfortable using high draft picks to invest in the pass rush. We're not likely to spend a ton of money in FA on the pass rush. Drafting these players high in the draft allows us to retain them for 4-5 years. I'd go this route. There are plenty of success stories to chose from around the league that warrant this approach.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: What do we do if Sewell is gone at 3? - Bengalstripes9 - 12-21-2020, 06:21 PM