Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Besides DK Metcalf or Mecole Hardman, who would you have drafted besides Drew Sample?
(12-28-2020, 04:38 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I do think it would have helped if Pratt and Sample were swapped in rounds, but I had the following TEs ahead of Sample in my evaluations:
- Hockenson (duh)
- Fant (duh)
- Jace Sternberger
- Josh Oliver
- Dawson Knox
- Kaden Smith
- Isaac Nauta
- Caleb Wilson

Knox has more production than Sample, Smith has same yardage but 2 more TDs than Sample.
Knox was taken as a comp pick at the end of Rd 3, Kaden Smith was a 6th rounder.

I had Sample as a 5th rounder or later, but I also wanted a more proven receiver if a TE was to be taken earlier. Taylor clearly prioritizes blocking, and Sample has been a good blocker. He also has been an ok 5th option after being forced into a starting role.

It's important to remember that if Uzomah hadn't gone down, Sample's production would likely be (way) lower too, as he was the backup to start the season. So he's gotten more opportunities than most of these guys in the above list too.

Another way to look at Sample's production is to look at Robert Tonyan from GB. Tonyan is having an Eifert-like season with 568 yards and 10 TDs this year, and he's in his 3rd season after being picked up as a UDFA. So it's possible to get guys to contribute a few hundred yards and some TDs at the TE position without taking them on Day 2 of the draft. The only reason to take a TE prior to Day 3 should be because they have some elite traits that make them a mismatch nightmare as a receiver. Sample is not a mismatch nightmare, but he's an ok well-rounded TE who would be a solid backup on any other team.
I think we all can now acknowledge the Sample pick was WAY too high for what he can do....looking to future I am praying they can hit on a more dynamic TE in FA or in Draft.....I see Burrow needing this much like Brady does.   
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Besides DK Metcalf or Mecole Hardman, who would you have drafted besides Drew Sample? - kalibengal - 12-28-2020, 05:02 PM