Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Very Bengals-esque Offseason
(01-21-2021, 11:14 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Really like the FA moves you made, except Jameis.  I am not a fan and I would rather use that money elsewhere, but I love the moves outside of that.  Affordable, but improvements across the board with each.  

The draft looks really good as well, but I worry a bit about Samual being the outside CB on the Bengals.  They like their outside CBs to have a bit more length.  And with WJIII not re-signed, he would likely have to start, unless Phillips can take the job.  

While I hate the idea of going in to next year without WJIII, it is a VERY real possibility because I simply think he doesn't want to play here.  I don't know the guy personally, but college ball at Houston might tell me he is not as much about playing for a winning team as he likes being close to home.  I can't force the guy to stay here.  It's too bad, because when his head is in the game and he is playing at his very best, I think he is exceptional.  Unfortunately, I think he loses his energy when the team falls behind and he just goes through the motions too often, leading to the inconsistency we have seen from him.  That being said, we should all remember the MASSIVE dropoff when he wasn't out there.   The Bengal's CBs are asked to cover longer than probably any secondary in the league.  Again, I applaud your ability to deal with him possibly not being here, as I have somewhat ignored that in my mocks.  

Lastly, it will break my heart to see Miami get all those picks at #3 that we essentially lost by beating the Texans.  But, at least we got something for the #5 pick.  

Good job!

I totally get your concerns about Samuel. If the dude was 1-2 inches taller, he'd be a no-brainer 1st rounder IMO.
I personally think he can handle outside CB duties in the NFL, but I can see teams labeling him as "just" a slot CB.
What I don't like about a lot of the taller CBs in this class in Rd 2 or later is that none seem to be as good in coverage as Samuel nor as fast.

I'm not a huge fan of Trae Waynes's coverage ability, but I think the team can "get by" with him and Darius Phillips on the outside and then have Samuel in the slot if the Bengals don't want to try Samuel outside. Obviously, if WJ3 can be kept, I'd love WJ3 and Waynes outside with Samuel inside.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Very Bengals-esque Offseason - ochocincos - 01-21-2021, 11:34 AM