Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL Draft: A Scientific Approach
(01-30-2021, 01:17 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Scientifically speaking, the game of football is typically won by the team that blocks and tackles better than their opponent.

Or, as John Madden once said "The team that scores the most points usually wins the game".

If there is a single dependent variable, the I can't think of a better one.

Sticking with psydoc's scientific approach, I think we can identity a whole array of stats as dependent variables.

For example: We want to improve our protection of Burrow, which we could measure in terms of at least 3 dependent variables (sacks, hits, hurries). 

Coaching is one independent variable that we could look at improving. Team composition would be another, but this is where the "talent" issue get fuzzy for me. If the composition of your Oline lacks talent, you're screwed. LOL So, I'm not sure that talent is static. A coach can improve the talent to some degree, right? Isn't that called player development? 

No coach is a total miracle worker, so coaching can't help someone with really low talent perform at a level to impact the dependent variables (sack, hits, hurries, etc). Case in point – Cedric Obweje (sp?). He's in Seattle now, and he still sucks. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: NFL Draft: A Scientific Approach - BURROWorBUST - 01-30-2021, 03:16 AM