Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How bad was AJ Green last year?
(03-02-2021, 12:27 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I think something that needs to mentioned with AJ's disappointing play is the disappointing way he was used (targeted way too often, running routes he shouldn't have been).

You don't get to the level of OP's numbers without both the player and the playbook and playcalling being a cause in this.

The fact of the matter is, besides his decline in skill and besides the front office overvaluing him, the coaching staff never really altered their approach.  AJ Green was still being forced into the offense at a ridiculous rate long after it was apparent he wasn't the player they had hoped for.  He was still running routes down the field long after it was apparent he couldn't seperate, and couldn't go up and make plays.

After weeks 4 and 5, where he produced 1 catch for 3 yards, and 0 catches, he was targeted 11 times in week 6, and 13 times in week 7.   These were by far his most productive games, but I think it was clear they went out of their way to get him involved.  (Fwiw, we lost both games)

Then he went on this run in weeks 8-12:  2 for 19 yards, 0 for 0, 4 for 41, 0 for 0, and another 0-0.

So at this point you would think they'd phase him out of the offense a bit, right?  Well, no.  He ended the season with target totals of 7, 3, 6 and 7.  Sill a 92 target pace when averaged over 16 games, and this came in an offense we were thowing less than earlier in the season.

And you can't just blame Burrow for forcing him the ball.  It was clear they had designed plays for him.  And it was clear, despite it never working, they kept trying to hit him down the field.

I could be wrong, but I think AJ had one catch on the season that was down the field 20 yards or more.  Pretty sure he had zero beyond 30.  At what point do you realize he can't run these routes?

So yeah, AJ did not look anywhere near what he once was.  But the question you have to ask yourself, is why was a guy liked that targeted so much?  Why didn't they use him differently?

Larry Fitzgerald has been running pretty much all underneath routes for the last few years.  It's rare you'll see him run a route beyond 12 yards.  Perhaps we could have had AJ strictly playing a similar role?  Perhaps we could gone with more 2 RB sets and pulled him from the field more often?  Perhaps we could have run out an extra lineman?

All I'm saying is, as much as this is an indictment on AJ, it's just as much as indictment on the coaching staff that allowed these numbers to come to fruition.
Why don't we stop blaming the coaching staff? AJ got paid to play football. Why don't we all just admit he isn't the player he once was.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: How bad was AJ Green last year? - sandwedge - 03-02-2021, 11:47 PM
RE: How bad was AJ Green last year? - Tony - 03-02-2021, 11:19 PM