Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Gov. Pedro Pierluisi: ‘Puerto Rico will be the first truly Hispanic state’
(03-08-2021, 01:33 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: This is something I haven't been able to quite understand, and am frankly too lazy to fully do the research on.

There's lot of information that seems somewhat conflicting regarding their laws.  They do have their own laws, their own constitution, their own bill of rights, and their own court system.  But it also says they're subject to most federal law.  I've also read that decisions between their Supreme Court and ours can arrise in some conflicts from time to time, but federal court can no longer appeal their decisions.  US courts cannot appeal their rulings, nor can they prosecute someone once they've ruled.

Here's just one tiny thing I just found, that I think presents an interesting example of something few consider when it comes to statehood.  Puerto Rico's current minimum wage is set $5.08.  So this is an example of something that is not regulated by federal law. ...

Puerto Rico being suddenly subjected to all sorts of regulations, labor laws, OSHA, and liabilities would be tremendous change.  And this list probably goes on and on and on.  I just listed some examples of potential differences.

Fwiw, this is what I think a lot of the comments about their, what they call "statehood party" needing to have education prior to adding these votes onto their elections are getting at.  A lot of Puerto Ricans feel that some in politics are presenting statehood in a simplistic way without properly educating people on what it actually means.  And apparently, they attactch these votes, which are for all intents and purposes meaningless onto general elections to bring out their supporters.

Well those are two substantive points. PRs do, then, in some areas, exert greater control over their own legal system than US states can.

And if they are currently exempted from many federal regulations, then the sudden (or even gradual) imposition of such could be a helluva shock. 

I'm guessing that should PR receive statehood, it would be graduated, perhaps over five years, and with some aid to help with the transition.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Gov. Pedro Pierluisi: ‘Puerto Rico will be the first truly Hispanic state’ - Dill - 03-08-2021, 02:13 PM