Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Gov. Pedro Pierluisi: ‘Puerto Rico will be the first truly Hispanic state’
(03-09-2021, 12:25 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Not anymore.  They poisoned that well by making it blindingly obvious that they only want Puerto Rican statehood (and D.C.) because it will give them two more Democratic senators.

And how exactly did they do that. I ask that because I am under the impression that as soon any Democrat mentioned Puerto Rico statehood at any time, you would already have reached that verdict. But I don't know why you actually did.
Not that I believe it's not in their heads, it most probably is. And many GOP politicians probably are opposed to PR statehood for that very reason too. None of this should matter a bit in that question.

(03-09-2021, 12:25 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote:   The kvetching from the Dems about how the Senate works preceded that.  It's almost like they don't understand that the Senate is what it is by design.

Yeah I'm not so sure this nuclear option is all designed too, while endig the filibuster is clearly against that design.

I mean, that's all politics. I am against Puerto Rico's faith being decided on partisanship and/or accusations of partisanship and them being held hostage by it.

(03-09-2021, 12:25 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Oh sure, just as there's a case to be made to keep things as is.  In a way Puerto Rico has a sweet set up, they have their own government and a large degree of autonomy, but also get automatic US citizenship, something millions (billions?) of people would love to have.

There's not a case to be made that is consistent with fundamental democratic principles. Not in my view. In any real democracy, you can't withhold voting rights from citizens and that is a matter of principle. In a way, PR can easily be seen as the GOP's most successful ongoing voter suppression effort.

If it's a sweet deal for them, giving up certain fundamental citizen rights for some accomodations, that should be up to them to decide and they need to have that say about that. Only a colonial power would deem otherwise.
And the fact that the US citizenship is valuable to have can not change anything about that. Imho putting that argument out is a bit patronizing towards them.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Gov. Pedro Pierluisi: ‘Puerto Rico will be the first truly Hispanic state’ - hollodero - 03-09-2021, 12:50 PM