Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why are we not extending our good players?
(03-08-2021, 12:54 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Has to be a reason to optimistic... And they didnt give us many

You mean last year?  Where they adapted a wide-open offense with lots of empty backfield and let Joe Burrow air it out over 60 times in his second game as a pro?  Lots of folks criticized it. but I wasn't one of them.  Let the guy figure things out his rookie year.  Let him see the windows at this level.  Give him the reigns.  Sure, they believed in guys like Jordan and XSF (injury, not really their fault, but a lack of depth was) too much but Burrow had thrown for over 200 yards at the half before he went down against the WFT....and they were the best front he faced all season. 

DJ Reader was a great signing.  Injury sucked, but once they put some talent around him you will see why the Texans were a perennial contender when he was there.

Vonn Bell had a slow start but he was coming on very strong down the line.  And he gave us JJSS getting blown up on National TV.  In the voice of Whitney Houston: "I will always love you...." Vonn Bell, for that hit.

Mackenzie Alexander was a solid slot CB.

Trae Waynes was a dud, because he clearly didn't take care of himself during COVID as he was afraid of an injury working out on his own so he did nothing.  Recipe for disaster.  I heard recently that was what derailed BJ Finney as well. 

They had a very solid draft.

But then.....

Ross sucked
Green sucked
Mixon was injured
XSF was injured
Most of the offensive line sucked
Geno sucked
Hubbard was injured

I know those injuries happen to all teams, but I don't think anyone saw AJ being the AJ was had last year.  Ross, well, I had high hopes that were wasted.  And Geno sucked largely because of his injury (giving him the benefit of the doubt, although his play had been declining).  

So, in all, they had injuries to key players and the top players they were expecting things from just didn't pan out.  But, we saw what we saw in Joe Burrow.  

Fast forward to this season:  

They got rid of that douche of an offensive line coach.  They are changing the uniforms.  They are building a Ring of Honor.  They are talking about things like "earning their stripes" and putting themselves out there as an organization.  I have never seen something like that from this franchise and if they can follow up last year's excellent FA period with another one this year, I will be incredibly excited heading in to the draft.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why are we not extending our good players? - SHRacerX - 03-09-2021, 09:15 AM