Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teen girl in Columbus killed by police
I figured this would spark the next round of dialogue on the issue.

https://www.npr.org/2021/04/20/989342784/16-year-old-black-girl-who-called-for-help-fatally-shot-by-police-ohio-family-sa

Yesterday, Columbus police shot and killed a 16 year old Black girl, Mahkia Bryant, as she fought, holding a knife, in the driveway of her foster home.

She allegedly had called 911 and reported that some girls were threatening to stab her. At some point she armed herself and fought back. The officer who shot her arrived to the scene as police were talking to a crowd of people in the driveway. Seconds later, Mahkia and another girl ran towards the crowd and Mahkia seemed to push the other girl before running towards another girl who was against a car. The officer yelled "get down" and fired at least 4 shots as she had her back to him, killing her.

This one is especially difficult for me as I have to think about this being one of my students. If this had happened in school, we have to put ourselves in between kids and pull them apart. The idea of just rolling up on the scene and killing a child within seconds would never be an option or a thought.

It's also difficult thinking about the number of mass shooters who get taken in alive. Who are just wounded.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Teen girl in Columbus killed by police - BmorePat87 - 04-21-2021, 08:59 AM