Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Mixon is the reason this team is successful this year..
(11-28-2021, 09:19 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I’ve studied this back to 2010-current. I gathered run metrics and pass metrics and tried to find correlations and there wasn’t any. For every good passing team with good rushing metrics, there was a good passing team with bad rushing metrics, so on and so forth. Basically, as YPC increases, YPA does not increase. Neither does passer rating.

Play-action works because the threat of a run exists, not because of the success of said run game. If a RB is on the field, defenses have to respect the threat and play their run fits. Otherwise, you’ll have Samaje Perine running wild on you. That’s been studied by an analyst named Ben Baldwin, and his conclusion was also “no correlation”.

Of course, I’m not going to act like I’ve done my studies 100% perfectly, so I could be missing something and this isn’t completely definitive. I’ve seen enough to feel confident about that conclusion and I’ve also received similar answers from a couple of coaches I know personally. It’s an area of interest for me, though, so I look into it often.

I respect your research, but there's so many variables. Quality of QB also comes into play, not just the run game. A good run game isn't going to lift a truly bad pass O...but I'd say a good QB will be helped by a good run game.

Just look at how Ryan Tannehill got a 2nd life with the Titans.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread