Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Mixon is the reason this team is successful this year..
(11-30-2021, 07:10 AM)SladeX Wrote: I had a 2 point post in regards to the statistical relationship between run and pass, etc.

First.
I recall several years ago the Patriots had an almost nonexistent running game. However, several analysts stated that their short passing game to the RBs, screens and such, were basically long handoffs, and that those plays were in fact, running plays.
With that in mind, reorienting analysis to categorize pass plays behind or near the LOS as running plays (most especially if said play involves blocking for the receiver by members of the OL), does that change any of the correlations you've been mentioning? 

2nd:
Mixon has had 2 very effective games. In both games, the passing numbers were a bit pedestrian,  but efficient. You can bet that upcoming opponents will be attempting to create a game plan that will stop the run, which will probably benefit the passing game. So in upcoming games, the running game may look pedestrian,  but the passing game will improve. In this way, each type of offense will benefit one another over time. There may be a game to game " game planning effect " that leads to ultimate success.

Extra point:
How many air Coryell type,  pass almost exclusively offenses have won a superbowl? Especially keeping point number one in mind?

Sorry Tony, this may need it's own thread...

I went ahead and pinged a buddy of mine who has been a DC at the NCAA level and currently coaches for a big 6A school down in Texas (DC there as well). I was curious about how defensive gameplans are drawn up, and here is what he had to say...

"The NFL is very personnel heavy as far as their tendencies are concerned. They will say 'okay, they are in this personnel grouping, here are the three formations they get in and here are the plays ran out of it' and make a call that way. The play call sheets I used when I was at the college level were significantly different than what we use here in HS because everything is broken down by personnel groupings."

I think this is interesting. It sheds more light on how an NFL DC creates a gameplan. They don't tailor it to one thing or another, they tailor it based on personnel groupings and go from there. So, really, they aren't gameplanning to stop the pass OR run specifically, they just focus on who is on the field and what you do when you're out there. 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread