Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Manziel the starting QB for the Browns this year?
(06-04-2015, 02:03 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I don't dislike Manziel because he's a Brown, I dislike him because he's an overhyped d-bag. 

I guess that's why I said this: "I understand you don't like Manziel as a person"

(06-04-2015, 03:11 AM)J24 Wrote: I think Johnny could be a good  Qb in this league but he has a couple of things working against him. 1.) he is short, 2.) he was drafted by the Browns, 3.) He had two years of experience in college and hardly ever played under center, and  4.) He has no real threat at WR.
In all honesty the guy could have benefited from 1 or two more seasons at college and being drafted in the mid rounds instead of the first.

1. No shorter than Drew Brees or Russell Wilson.
2. I can't argue there.
3. Lots of successful QB's didn't play under center in college, including Dalton. Most college teams play a shotgun spread these days, so it's nothing out of ordinary.
4. They have Bowe, Hartline, Hawkins, Housler, and 4th rounder Vince Mayle. Not exactly a cast of all-pros, but not bad really.

I don't see how 1-2 more seasons in college would've benefited him much, seeing how it wasn't a pro system and he was partying way too much.
(06-04-2015, 03:43 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I get what you are saying, but is Johnny Fartball really as "unknown" as we think he is?  I'm not saying it's time to give up on him, but it seems like everything he's shown on and off the field has been unanimously negative thus far.  I don't run a football team, but I'd have a hard time confidently putting my name on any professional decision that hinges upon the justfication of "We have to do this because we have no idea what is going to happen!"

So far the things we know about him all seem to be negative and predictable.  Again, we shall see, but I can't say I'd be marching Johnny out there and crossing my fingers were I in any position of authority.

Well we have an idea of what's going to happen with Josh McCown, and it probably won't be good. When it comes to actually playing in NFL games, Manziel is an unknown, just as any NFL player is until they get on-field experience. Sure Manziel was a doosh last year, but he was also a coke addict/alcoholic last year. He handled it and got sober, so that's a plus at the very least. He'll probably put his nose in the playbook more this year.

If I were running the Browns (like you, I'm not), I'd see how dedicated Manziel is to learning his position through OTA's and camp, and go from there. If he's showing dedication, progress and good work ethic, I'd start him. You guys are acting like starting Manziel will be disastrous, as if he can't improve from last year, and as if the Browns have a much better option. McCown isn't taking that team anywhere.

If Manziel is terrible, it won't be much worse than McCown anyway, and besides, it's not like they can't just bench him at any time.

Fwiw, I think the Browns are handling this well. They shouldn't let Manziel feel any entitlement to the starting job. He should have to earn it 100% through his own actions.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is Manziel the starting QB for the Browns this year? - Shake n Blake - 06-04-2015, 04:12 PM