Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
#1 overall QBs and playoff wins
(01-17-2022, 02:24 AM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: I decided to look back at all of the quarterbacks taken #1 overall (exception for Rivers since he was in a weird spot) since 2000 to see how their postseason careers went/have gone.

2001 - Michael Vick - 2 playoff wins (2-4), first coming in his 2nd season
2002 - David Carr - never made the playoffs
2003 - Carson Palmer - 1 playoff win (1-3), coming in his 13th season for a different franchise
2004 - Eli Manning - 8 playoff wins (8-4, 2-0 in Super Bowl), first coming in his 4th season ||| Philip Rivers - 5 playoff wins (5-7), first coming in 4th season
2005 - Alex Smith - 2 playoff wins (2-5), first coming in his 7th season
2007 - JaMarcus Russell - never made the playoffs
2009 - Matt Stafford - 0 playoff wins (0-3)
2010 - Sam Bradford - never made the playoffs
2011 - Cam Newton - 3 playoff wins (3-4; 0-1 in Super Bowl), first coming in 4th season
2012 - Andrew Luck - 4 playoff wins (4-4), first in 2nd season
2015 - Jameis Winston - never made the playoffs as a starter
2016 - Jared Goff - 3 playoff wins (3-3; 0-1 in Super Bowl), first coming in 3rd season
2018 - Baker Mayfield - 1 playoff win (1-1), coming in 3rd season
2019 - Kyler Murray - first playoff game tomorrow
2020 - Joe Burrow - 1 playoff win (1-0), first coming in 2nd season
2021 - Trevor Lawrence - never made the playoffs

I didn't know how this would look ahead of time. There are a lot more playoff wins overall than I expected, so perhaps that's a nice general reflection on the institution of number one overall QBs. Only two others were able to get a playoff win as quickly as Joe Burrow though (both bolded). Technically Trevor Lawrence still can.

I'm not suggesting this is a particularly meaningful review, but it interested me. At the very least we're off to a great start. Burrow has already matched Palmer and Dalton combined in playoff wins.

There is an strange similarity between Luck and Burrow.  Although Burrow is much more mobile than Luck, and I think the doesn't "take on" big hits, he sure gets his share of them.  The Colts failed to protect Luck and it shortened his career greatly.

I think Burrow's escapability is much improved with his knee 100% compared to early in the season, but the story of Luck should not be lost on the front office.  

I really liked the moves they made this past year, and I think they will take another step next season.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: #1 overall QBs and playoff wins - SHRacerX - 01-17-2022, 11:39 AM