Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most Useful/ Useless Car feature
(07-30-2022, 10:55 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: Couldn't disagree with you more on this one.

Great way to see that your engine and/or transmission are starting to not function properly, also a great way to check your speed if you've had the vehicle more than a short time.  I had a spedometer cable break on a car once and was able to tell my speed based on the RPM and what gear I was in.  2250 RPM in 5th gear meant I was going 60.  Half of that meant 30.  Double the RPM and the PoPo were chasing me!

For current vehicles:

Useful:
Mine: Keyless Entry Key Pad - lock and unlock without having keys on me is used regularly, from throwing something in the car for later to leaving something in the car by mistake.  I hate having keys in my pocket, so I look forward to leaving them in the house as soon as I get home.
Hers: Heated Seats.

Useless:
Mine: Roof rack.  A full sized SUV with a V8 and the factory roof rack can only hold 80 pounds.  Aftermarket racks from Thule and Yakima or other brands can hold double that.  You can fit a 2 boat kayak holder onto my roof rack, but chances are it will only hold the weight of a single boat.  So dumb.
Hers: Remote start.  Toyota factory remote start only works from 20 or so feet, and that is if it is unobstructed.  And once it is started, it will shut off the moment any door is opened.  We literally never use it because your already at the car for it to be in range, and then you have to start it again to drive the thing so why bother.

That remote start was clutch when I had to park my car in the street because the ex got the garage.  When we'd get 10 inches of snow, I could stand at the window, start it up and let it start warming while I got dressed.  By the time I got out there (or finished shoveling the driveway), the snow on the car came right off.  Second to that was the heated mirrors, because I could clean them without bumping them out of position.  That was my most useful feature until I got divorced and have my own house so I never park outside.  

Now I'd say most useful is the rear camera.  Needless but makes me happy is the double sun roof that spans most of the car.  

Useless?  All of the different driving modes.  I either want FWD or AWD.  I don't need the other modes to drop my kids at dance or get groceries or drive into the mountains for a hike.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Most Useful/ Useless Car feature - bfine32 - 07-29-2022, 04:46 PM
RE: Most Useful/ Useless Car feature - MileHighGrowler - 08-01-2022, 05:41 PM