Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
The American Two Party system
well, is an unmitigated disaster.

I won't share all my reasons to say so right now. But to tackle a few points in advance. It is a system that creates division and tribalism. As evidenced, it allows extremism to become mainstream and get a guaranteed election win over time. It allowed for the creation of two party molochs fighting for power. Two molochs that can do whatever they want and they can never ever be replaced. Together they got all the money, all the influence, all the media connections, they would destroy every other viable movement with ease. And they both by design share around 50% of the power over time, and if they were demons from hell it would be so. The opposition party always wins at some point, see: midterms.
In the end, money is the main power and pretty much all influential politicians are either big money themselves or officially bribed. It's tough to call that system a democracy really. It's rather depressing. If you do not align with one of the two parties, you might as well not care at all. Unless there's a smaller evil to be chosen, so that democrats can celebrate a big win and see proof that their ideas and slogans are popular because Biden narrowly beat Trump and they lost less votes in the midterms than usual. Great stuff.

And there's the president, directly elected, hence a wild card of sorts, but of course in the end usually just strictly aligning with one of the molochs, how else could they run. Trump wasn't, an understandable appeal of his, sadly it was Trump though. And that's another issue. You had Hillary vs. Trump, then Biden vs. Trump and next most likely Biden vs. Trump, part 2. All deeply unpopular choices, detested by a majority of people. If being given such widely rejected choices again and again is not a sign of a sick system, I don't know what would count as one. Not withstanding that someone like Donald Trump can become president and actually increase his vote total after that embarrassing shitshow of a presidency. But that's on a more personal taste maybe.

One last point, giving one option in an election sure would be autocracy, China style. You have two options, very democratic, but it's quite a logical development that especially when the division seekers gain power, there will be the idea to end this back and forth with this domestic enemy and reduce the available choices by one. Better have emperor Trump than demonrats in the house, after all. And the constitutional safeguards against that appear severely flawed. Eg. when Trump says that as president he can do whatever he wants, it seems to me as though he is right. But even if not, it would take a president and his moloch only to conspire with five not so independent people to make it so anyway. Or some corrupted state secretaries or electors. A VP with less integrity than Pence. Or maybe a mob.

And considering these and many additional thoughts I wonder why Americans do not indeed divorce like MTG suggested, better a horrible end than endless horror.... or unite in refusing the one thing that is the root of so much rot, the rotten two-party system. But for sure, I guess most will defend that system in its entirety because founders and geniusses and stuff. Or other arguments I might consider. Thoughts?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
The American Two Party system - hollodero - 03-01-2023, 07:56 PM
RE: The American Two Party system - treee - 03-01-2023, 08:54 PM
RE: The American Two Party system - Dill - 03-10-2023, 02:09 PM
RE: The American Two Party system - Dill - 03-07-2023, 10:36 PM
RE: The American Two Party system - treee - 03-06-2023, 05:45 PM
RE: The American Two Party system - Dill - 03-07-2023, 09:08 PM
RE: The American Two Party system - Dill - 03-10-2023, 05:33 PM
RE: The American Two Party system - Dill - 03-12-2023, 03:02 PM
RE: The American Two Party system - Dill - 03-17-2023, 02:24 AM