Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.75 Average
America First=Seccession
(02-23-2023, 10:06 PM)samhain Wrote: It's really going to be some shit in this country in about 20 years. 

People my dad's age (baby boomers) largely retired with health care coverage and an actual retirement.  

My dad passed 9 years ago, but despite probably not saving quite enough, my mom is well taken care of by the railroad both pension-wise and healthcare-wise.  

People like that are going to be a thing of the past.  We will soon have an entire country full of retirees that either saved enough through a 401K (if they had a decent one), or will live off of social security.  Regardless of their savings, they'll likely be on medicare.  

That's going to be an entire elderly populace either working until death or incapacitation, or living off of the government to some extent.  Yikes.

Yeah but pensions, healthcare and not working until you're dead is r/antiwork stuff. 

Nutjobs. Ninja
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2023, 05:08 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: Yeah but pensions, healthcare and not working until you're dead is r/antiwork stuff. 

Nutjobs. Ninja

I'm curious what mental gymnastics you went through to tie my comments about people hating on the market to this.

Please enlighten me.  
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2023, 10:06 PM)samhain Wrote: It's really going to be some shit in this country in about 20 years. 

People my dad's age (baby boomers) largely retired with health care coverage and an actual retirement.  

My dad passed 9 years ago, but despite probably not saving quite enough, my mom is well taken care of by the railroad both pension-wise and healthcare-wise.  

People like that are going to be a thing of the past.  We will soon have an entire country full of retirees that either saved enough through a 401K (if they had a decent one), or will live off of social security.  Regardless of their savings, they'll likely be on medicare.  

That's going to be an entire elderly populace either working until death or incapacitation, or living off of the government to some extent.  Yikes.

Hard to say what will happen in 20 years.  Seems like people have been saying Social Security will be gone by the time people get old enough to use it for decades (just an example of it being hard to predict so far out)

I personally think as long as pensions/retirements make up a good chunk of the market assets, then people will be fine in retirement.  A quick google has pensions (not sure if this includes 401ks or IRAs) around 25% of total market assets....and as long as it's that high (because old people like to vote) then I think our government (BOTH PARTIES) will continue to protect it.  
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
[Image: FpxV_pOaMAAjE70?format=jpg&name=large]
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2023, 12:24 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I had a great job with great health insurance that they kept taking pieces away. Now, I'm on Medicare and get even better health insurance on the taxpayer dime. I think the solution to non employer health insurance is to join one of these health care funds often offered by the church. People pay into it and withdraw from it. The number of people active in it keeps it solveable. My sister has been in hers for a long time and all her hospital bills have been paid. Of course, she pays into it each month.

well I hope your sister hasn't paid into this "Christian" medical ministry.  It made the founder wealthy and stopped paying the bills. Just another Ponzi scheme

https://www.propublica.org/article/liberty-healthshare-healthcare-sharing-ministries-obamacare

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(02-25-2023, 03:16 PM)pally Wrote: well I hope your sister hasn't paid into this "Christian" medical ministry.  It made the founder wealthy and stopped paying the bills.  Just another Ponzi scheme

https://www.propublica.org/article/liberty-healthshare-healthcare-sharing-ministries-obamacare

No she didn't. However, people take advantage of the Christian tag just to get trust. These were frauds and knew what they were doing. There are legit Christian healthshare plans. The key is the plan needs to be under the authority of a church. This woman did not do her homework unfortunately.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2023, 03:14 AM)basballguy Wrote: You’re new around here but damn man you’re so far off.  If you were even half way paying attention to current events during Covid then you would know the GOP pushed back on “aid” resulting from Covid.  The GOP is Who swallowed their pride to get a deal across to help Americans.

The Democratic Party is what ****** us.  Ask any small business owner that no longer owns a small business due to Covid shutdowns.
That's laughable! Hilarious

Well here we go another example of the good ol' GOP looking out for the little guy by rolling back regulations (E.g., Dodd-Frank) put in place after the financial collapse of 2008 caused by the GOP rolling back regulations such as the Glass-Stegal act and Volcker rule.  The GOP says regulations slow down business and reduce profitability, but as soon as their greed catches up with the they're the first in line for a bailout.  

Great job by tRump and the rest of the Senate GOP in rolling back Dodd-Frank and creating an environment to allow what going on now with Silicone valley bank.  Also, all the Norfolk and Southern Railways derailments are owned by the GOP by allowing transportation companies to roll back safety regulations.   
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 01:46 PM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: That's laughable! Hilarious

Great job by tRump and the rest of the Senate GOP in rolling back Dodd-Frank and creating an environment to allow what going on now with Silicone valley bank.    

So how does Barney Frank show up on Silicon Valley Bank's payroll?  He received a million a year to be board member for the bank.  Barney Frank, who told us, Fannie Mae was in good financial shape also before it collapsed.  

My understanding is the regulation created, Dodd/Frank, during the financial crisis only applied to the bigger banks...ie..JP Morgan, etc...but did not apply to the regional banks, which now looks like a mistake.  

Plenty of blame to go around here.  
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 02:04 PM)Goalpost Wrote: So how does Barney Frank show up on Silicon Valley Bank's payroll?  He received a million a year to be board member for the bank.  Barney Frank, who told us, Fannie Mae was in good financial shape also before it collapsed.  

My understanding is the regulation created, Dodd/Frank, during the financial crisis only applied to the bigger banks...ie..JP Morgan, etc...but did not apply to the regional banks, which now looks like a mistake.  

Plenty of blame to go around here.  

Dodd-Frank was put into place to regulate small to medium size banks.  The Volcker rule large banks, and Glass Steigal investment banks from commingling with the commercial banks, and both regulations put safeguards to keep them from trading derivates amongst other things --All were regulations that were targeted by Bush, Congressional Republicans, and later by Trump.  Google how many times Trump came out and attacked Dodd-Frank vowing to repeal it, and he did. 

• "The Main Street banks and credit unions that people depend on, they've been suffering," said bill sponsor Rep. Jeb Hensarling, a Texas Republican who chairs the House Financial Services Committee. "They've been suffering for years under the weight, the load, the volume, the complexity, the cost of heavy Washington bureaucratic red tape. They haven't been able to serve these people to get them into homes and get them into cars."
  • In May 2018, The GOP-controlled House voted to ease rules for midsize and regional banks in what is considered the largest undoing to date of banking rules put in place in the wake of the financial crisis. The vote was 258-159.
  • The GOP-Controlled Senate had already approved the bill that would allow banks with up to $250 billion in assets to escape some of the toughest rules put in place by the Dodd-Frank Act in 2010 to shore up the banking system.  Trump signed the bill the next week.
  • Republican lawmakers said the bill aims to help small banks and credit unions be able to make more loans to families.

Nice Try!  Now we see how that turned out for American families. 
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/22/house-passes-bank-bill-rolling-back-dodd-frank-rules.html

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/24/trump-signs-bank-bill-rolling-back-some-dodd-frank-regulations.html
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2023, 10:29 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Covid just sped things up.  Small businesses are heading the way of the caspian tiger since our country is focused on ensuring the billion dollar conglomerates with which mom and pop compete are as untaxed and unburdened as possible. 

If your business went kaput during the lock down you clearly weren't bankrolling what was needed to survive like the big boys.  Working for yourself is a luxury and luxuries aren't luxuries unless most people can't have them.

They've silently undone everything Teddy Roosevelt did to stop monopolies, and people don't see it. They're too busy defending billionaires' money because, reasons.  Mellow

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-22-2023, 07:21 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Maybe I'm over simplifying things, but this seems like a pretty pro-union bout of sentiment you're laying down here, and I can relate but my parents were among the dozen or so people who weren't buying into Reagan's "union-busting for your own good" schtick back then.

Kinda off topic, but it reminds of the time Reagan granted amnesty to more illegal immigrants than any president in US history in order to squash the fruit picker strike in California. Now it's only woke Dems that do that kinda stuff. The times.....boy they sure are changing. Mellow  

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote