Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's take a minute and acknowledge this
(12-07-2015, 09:13 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm not sure if that's necessarily true.  I recall on PTI Tony Kornheiser was gushing about Palmer's borderline MVP season and that the Cardinals can be a Super Bowl favorite and Mike Wilbon just said "How many playoff games has he won?" knowing the answer was zero.  The whole playoff wins stat is worth acknowledging, but we also have to realize that Rex Grossman, Mark Sanchez, and Tim Tebow all have playoff wins.  Hell, Sanchez might have more than the Bengals had in 46 years.

Like Fred pointed out, when you get to a certain level and fail then getting to that level each time becomes less of a recognized accomplishment and more of a joke in the eyes of outsiders.  I think of the Bills in the 90s.  Many football fans would be thrilled with their team making the Super Bowl, but when lose 4 in a row even teams that never won the thing start jabbing at you.

Additionally, I have to admit the bias involved.  When the Bengals make the playoffs and lose in the first round we try to cheer the accomplishment, can't win if you aren't in, and so on.  When the Steelers go one-n-done we don't applaud them,  we laugh because they got Tebowed right out of the playoffs.  One 'n' done.  Suck it! NYEAH NYEAH and so on.  Admit it, if the Steelers went one 'n' done 4 times in a row we'd all be in stitches and wonder why they'd be stupid enough to not fire Tomlin and hire anyone else.  Meh, perspective.

I agree with some of what you're saying, but from everything I've seen, more media folks are gushing over Palmer than Dalton. The lack of playoff wins for Dalton (in year 5) are CONSTANTLY brought up as if they're a reason to shrug him off. With Palmer (in year 13), those questions are rarely brought up, your example notwithstanding.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Let's take a minute and acknowledge this - Shake n Blake - 12-08-2015, 06:42 PM