Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Use of derogatory names for politicians and groups of people
(03-08-2024, 11:12 AM)CKwi88 Wrote: This is a very subjective style of moderation that makes equitable moderation even more difficult to achieve. 

If we are to avoid derogatory language when talking about political groups, Hamas should be referred to as a political and military movement, no? Not terrorists or worse yet dogs. 

Don't get me wrong, I fully understand that this is Bengalholic's world and I'm just living in it and will comply with the rules established by the mod team. But just for the sake of clarity, is this going to be an objective style of moderation or one that is going to depend on the feelings of any given moderator?

A big part of.moderation is responding to reports submitted by the people who read comments that offend them. It's not realistic for the mod team to read every comment. So if a comment isn't reported, it may sneak through policies that we put in place. As I said in my response, I don't see what SSF stands to gain by calling Hamas terrorist dogs, but I also doubt anyone would report that post.

Moderation is subjective by its very nature. There are rules, but it is up to the judgment of the moderation team if something breaks those rules. If there is something that is on the edge, we have a forum for discussion.

As for fair moderation, there's a reason the mod team is a mixture of conservative leaning people like Sunset and Harley and left leaning people like me. We work together to make sure one side is not unfairly moderated.

I hope this addresses your concerns. 

Messages In This Thread
RE: Use of derogatory names for politicians and groups of people - CJD - 03-08-2024, 11:25 AM