Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Columbia Leaders Grilled at Antisemitism Hearing
(04-30-2024, 05:49 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Again, the former would be a good start, why haven't they done that?  As for it being a public space, it isn't, at least in Columbia's case.  They also vandalized and occupied a university building last night and are reported to have breached some dorms as well.  They also apparently held four janitorial staff against their will (this is normally called kidnapping).  Also, as I pointed out earlier, and Bel again mentioned below, the university is required by federal law to maintain a safe environment for all of its students.  It is absolutely not doing that, and there's plenty of Jewish students who have publicly testified directly to this.

Some have, to admittedly different levels of effort and results...

https://news.yahoo.com/colleges-weigh-crackdowns-protests-questions-113915312.html
Quote:Some schools have tried to curb the influence of outsiders. For instance, Harvard has sought to restrict access only to those who showed a university ID. At Northeastern, officials had asked protesters for their student IDs earlier in the week before the arrests on campus Saturday. Some protesters showed them, while others declined. At Columbia, which closed its gates, protesters on the other side added to a sense of chaos, with many shouting antisemitic chants and threatening students.

As for the invading the dorms or university building, that seems like a university-level punishment issue to me. I suppose if the university refused to punish/reprimand them (I am pretty sure they've been getting suspended, no?) and the people in the building feel unsafe and file a complaint then it becomes more of a issue for law enforcement. At it's base level of just protesting where they shouldn't, it just seems to me more just a internal university issue for discipline.

If people were held against their will, then they need to file a report and then yes it should be a legal issue and the people responsible should be charged. Just those people, though, not the rest. We can't let a minority of a group (even your own estimate said 20%) dictate if we should stop allowing people to exercise some pretty important rights.

I thought the whole Jan 6th protest was dumb, but I supported the right of all the people who were there to protest. The ones that entered the capitol building I supported being arrested and charged. Doesn't mean we should stop the inevitable next protests after this next election. Just punish the people that cross the line again, but you can't shut it all down because rights are rights, not when-we-like-them-rights.

Heck, I don't even agree with these current college protestors, but I feel obligated to support their right to (in my opinion) be wrong. Lol... just take care of the ones who cross the line.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Columbia Leaders Grilled at Antisemitism Hearing - TheLeonardLeap - 04-30-2024, 07:25 PM