Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My cruddy mock/What I think they'll do
I don't spend as much time watching college as I used to, but I still like to try and do a mock every year. It's going to be bad, feel free to pick it apart. Trying to do something different this year, I'm picking who I think will be there and would take, then saying who I think the Bengals might actually take.

1- Kenny Clark, DT
[Image: 2079670.jpg]

Nope, not the best penetration. Not the best player at the position, or most polished. But that's what the guy lining up beside him will be for. Clark — who played nose in a 4-3 — is a former high school wrestler, second in team tackles last year (his junior year) and has played different spots. Athletic, but not so much so that he relies on it.

And it helps he's drawing comparisons to Peko, a guy who doesn't have the most flash but is a consistent player at the same spot.

Who I think they'll pick: Jaylon Smith. I don't think the injury talk will bother them that much. Marvin hasn't let it bother him in the past. He wants a dynamic LB, he'll take the risk.

2- Will Fuller, WR
[Image: 2082827.jpg]

He's a playmaker. Not the ideal size and he's not going to win any fights, but he can catch in traffic whenever he gets into it. Which isn't often, he's got great acceleration and good top end speed. He and Green would keep secondaries back, opening up running lanes and making Eifert even more effective.

Who I think they'll pick: Jalen Mills, CB. The position isn't that great this year. Regardless of free agency, Hall is nearly done and Jones can't play at the same level for too much longer. We've been building that position up, but still don't seem to have it set for the long haul.

3- Zack Sanchez, CB
[Image: 1996785.jpg]

As far as football acumen and playmaking, Sanchez may be one of the best at his position this year. His size(5'11", 185 lbs.) is less than ideal, but he makes up for it in talent. He's snagged 13 interceptions in two seasons, and 28 pass breakups in three.

His size means he won't be the best open field tackler, but he will drag a guy down or at least slow him down until someone else can finish it off. But his ability to make plays will make up for the occasional missed tackle.

Who I think they take: Sheldon Day, DT. He could be a good pickup, one of the "first round talent in the third" people keep talking about. 32 career TFL and 7 sacks. A three technique in a 4-3 he's a good fit, and he's good against the run or getting in the passer's face. [Here comes the but] But, had some injury problems in the past and he's not the biggest guy.

4- Nick Martin, C
[Image: 1893204.jpg]

Outside chance he lasts until late into the fourth, but it could happen given his injury history. If so, take him. Two year team captain, well liked by his team and a smart player. Brother of All Pro Zack Martin, so hopefully he makes a good adjustment to the NFL.

I've seen him mocked as high as the second. I don't think that's likely given the need versus the talent available at center this year. You've got 4-5 guys who should go somewhere in rounds 3-5. Martin is consistently in the middle of those guys. I'd consider taking him in the third.

Who I think they pick: Kyle Murphy, OT. Problem with a pre-combine injury, combines with questions over whether he will be strong enough to play OT has Murphy still around in the fourth. The Bengals will see it as a depth pick.

5- Jihad Ward, DE
Margus Hunt 2.0. Good size and measurables for the position, not a lot of production to show for it. But he's got potential, and that's what you're looking for in the fifth. With some coaching, he could move around the line or drop back a bit in a tweener role.

Who I think they'll pick:

Paul McRobert, WR. St. Louis native. Decent receiver with good size (6'2", 202 lbs). Two time team captain, well liked by coaches and fellow players. School record (it's SEMo, but so what) for receiving touchdowns. But what the Bengals will like? Serviceable at punt/kick returns, averaging 11.5 on punts and 19.5 on kicks.

6- Kris Frost, LB
Been moved around some and never settled into any spot in the scheme. But he's got good athleticism and size.

Who I think they pick: Geronimo Allison, WR. In a draft with a guy named Jihad, you'd think it would be hard to stand out on names alone. Welcome to Geronimo, the 6'3" receiver from Illinois. JUCO player, but had decent numbers in his two years at Illinois.

7- Adam Gotsis, DT
Developmental pick. Margus Hunt 3.0. Foreign player, but he did have good college numbers. An injury (ACL tear) won't have him going too high, and he might be around by the 7th.

Who I think they'll pick Stephen Weatherly, LB. 6'4", 270.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
My cruddy mock/What I think they'll do - Benton - 03-02-2016, 05:43 PM