Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Last 3 Years of 1st and 2nd rounders
I went off tangent in another thread about this, but would like to hear what others think of this as a lone subject of discussion.

I really believe that this franchise's chickens are coming home to roost with regards to drafting so few real contributors in the early rounds of the last 3 drafts. We have literally 2 guys that have shown jack squat from this group, and one has regressed significantly from the time when he has success. Boyd is the obvious gem out of this group in terms of right now, and Hill has shown things, but not so much recently.

As for the others, we have Dennard, who looks nothing like a player worthy of a first. He's slow and often times lost. You draft players on round 1 to start, and I'd venture a guess that he'd be a liability in that role. In the meantime, he's been passed by a mid-rounder in Shaw.

The we have Ogbuehi. Jesus. I have no doubt that he's a great athlete for a man his size, but he just doesn't look strong enough to handle NFL ends. He can't hold a block to save his life and was mercifully benched 6 games into his tenure as the starter. Looks like the redshirt genius move wasn't quite the slam dunk it appeared to be. If a team took this guy with a top 10 pick, as was projected by some, he'd be well on his way to the major bust label if he was healthy enough to play a full season as a rookie.

Then there's Fisher. I have some hope for him due to the fact that I haven't seen enough from him. It's a bit troubling that a second round pick 1 year in gets passed over for a waaay past-his-prime vet in Winston when Ogbuehi gets yanked. You'd think a young player with some talent would get a vote of confidence. Ogbuehi sure did.

Jackson may be the second coming of Ty Law. Hard to tell when he's not on the field. Either way that's 3 years of first rounders contributing nothing. Worse yet, it's the team's future at the OT position in great question at best and on the toilet at worst.

IMO this is playing a major role in this team's issues this year. Bodine is a goat for many reasons, some legit, but Ogbuehi is a bigger liability. Much more was expected of and invested in Ced. They have no option at RT that gives you confidence.

Adam Jones may be falling off due to age, but after the last 4 drafts there should be an heir apparent ready to step up. There isn't. Adam is still better than any of these first rounders, although Dre is serviceable if not boneheaded. The golden era of this front office may be coming to an end, and it's starting to show.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Last 3 Years of 1st and 2nd rounders - samhain - 10-17-2016, 01:05 AM