Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flying United? You may want to give up your seat...
(04-11-2017, 01:11 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Yeah, but the defense will argue just the opposite (and a disorder claim won't fly without treatment records).  I think the city/airport authority will be reluctant to write a blank check when they can leverage criminal charges.  Yeah, charges will be dropped as part of the settlement but that doesn't mean they don't factor into something much less than a blank check.

And a jury trial is hardly a slamdunk - looks like he's clinging to that chair like spiderman, and the city will argue his injuries resulted from his resistance of lawful action.

Let me ask you a different question...if he's awarded millions for his own unlawful conduct, then how much should the other 3 be entitled to for leaving the plane without incident?  That's the big problem here - you can't start writing blank checks to people for forcibly resisting leaving a plane.

Here is a fun quote from the Chicago Department of Aviation, the law enforcement body who employees the officers on site.

"The incident was not in accordance with our standard operating procedure and the actions of the aviation security officer are obviously not condoned by the Department."

So, the officer who from reports came up and yanked him out of the seat while two others were attempting to talk him out of the seat admittedly didn't follow procedure? Yep, sounds like a slam dunk to me.

The other 3 are entitled to 400% the cost of their ticket up to $1350. That is laid out by the department of transportation. Their problems have nothing to do with him, we all know that our legal system rewards stupidity even self inflicted harm.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Flying United? You may want to give up your seat... - Au165 - 04-11-2017, 09:32 AM