Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does the Slot Give Dennard a Realistic Chance of Succeeding?
(05-23-2017, 03:57 PM)ochocincos Wrote: What I would do (playing to everyone's strengths in theory):
Outside CBs = WJ3 and Dennard
inside CB = DK
FS = Shaw
SS = Iloka
nickel LB = Williams

While DK has been solid on the outside, I think he could be a better CB covering inside routes than Dennard because of his height and length.

To me Dre is an outside guy.  He's really a good press corner.  He seems to struggle with the small quick receivers - kind of like Sherman does.

The key to a good defensive backfield is A) putting players at the point of their strength and B) Depth

Depending on whether (or how long) Adam Jones is suspended our starters on the outside are going to be:

Dre and Jones - with WJIII likely replacing Jones if/ when he is suspended.

Dennard should be backing up the other outside

Shaw should be starting in the slot.  He has played well there and is a physical corner - plus he's backup at the safety spot

Russell can back up all over the field - but should be the primary backup for the slot.   If Dennard fails then he would backup for Dre as well.

I think we go into the season with the same four safeties (Iloka, Williams, Fedge and Smith) with Wilson in contention for Smith's spot - especially with his ST abilities.  It will be interesting to see how he plays, but he has the speed to cover over the top.  Fedge and Williams both have the ability to play nickel backer.   Fedge was great in the box last year and great on special teams.

So from my perspective, if Dennard is going to play we should not be trying to find a starting gig for the first round pick.  We should be playing him at a position of strength and seeing (over time) if he can beat one of the starters out.  If not the hope is that he would be an outstanding backup on the outside where you really cannot have enough depth.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Does the Slot Give Dennard a Realistic Chance of Succeeding? - 3wt - 05-23-2017, 06:43 PM