Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does the Slot Give Dennard a Realistic Chance of Succeeding?
(05-24-2017, 08:33 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: It is a tough debate.  I agree with everything Nate is saying here, but then I think is it messing with Dennard to not keep working him in the slot?  

Right now, he is the backup slot and backup outside.  The depth is such that he is only an injury away from being a starter at either spot.  I almost think he is better off being trained to be the backup on the outside to see if he can reach the potential he showed in college.  

I'm sure we will see a lot of him in the preseason on the outside.  Hopefully, he shows he can do it and can be signed for a reasonable amount moving forward.  If not, he becomes another compensatory pick, albeit not a very high one.  

It is tough, but it is a great thing to have this much competition in a passing league at the CB position.

I would just prefer the guy compete at where he plays best, the quick Slot receivers give Dennard more problems than the
big outside receivers from what i see. Dennard is a physical, bump and run corner that has fluid hips and good ball skills.

Would like for us to re-sign him if he plays well, always liked the guy in college. I am with Shake on this one, so far i have
been dead wrong about the guy but injuries are the reason more than anything and playing behind 1st rounders.

(05-24-2017, 08:36 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I get this, but Williams finally started to show some ability starting at safety as the year wore on.  I think the Viking (Fej) could be a better nickel LB than Williams anyway and you don't have to pull Williams from his normal starting role.  

I am surprised you would want Dre to play the inside CB position when he has played his entire career outside.  I think Dennard is the first CB off the bench for either the slot or the outside until he takes someone's job either by injury or superior ability.  

The coaches have been talking about Fej as a nickel backer actually.

(05-24-2017, 09:17 AM)ochocincos Wrote: The purpose of my proposal was to find a way for all of Williams, Iloka, Shaw, DK, Dennard, and WJ3 a chance to have a key role rather than just riding the bench as a pure backup.
I'll clarify too that DK would be outside CB in non-nickel situations, Williams would be SS. So essentially Shaw and Dennard only play in nickel, but other players actually shift their positions rather than Shaw and Dennard playing inside CB and nickel LB.

It is a great proposal IMHO. I have thought of that exact same proposal in my mind.

Great way to get all the talent on the field at the same time that can all cover.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Does the Slot Give Dennard a Realistic Chance of Succeeding? - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 05-24-2017, 02:20 PM