Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Great News! (Bernard ready for camp)
(08-01-2017, 08:27 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Lots of folks blame Piano Man.  Lots blame the RBs.  Lots blame the scheme...

I am more in that last camp, but it isn't intentionally a poor running scheme.  It is more a function of defenses not being threatened all over the field and teeing off on the running game.  With new pieces like Ross and Mixon, and the healthy return of players like Eifert and Uzomah, I think ALL the Bengal RBs have a significantly better season. 

Ocho posted some numbers of guys like Gurley among others that were less than 4 YPC and the common thread was that their offensive firepower was lacking.  

I lean towards all of the above, but definitely blame Paul and scheme more than lack of RB talent. You could be right about spreading the field with more weapons, but what about 2013? That year we were 8th in rushing attempts, but 28th in YPC with plenty of weapons to spread the field.

As for what Ocho said, all due respect to him...but several of those guys he listed are over the hill, while Gurley notoriously had maybe the worst line in the league. Under 4 YPC is considered bad for a reason. Talking about Gurley also reminded me of how the Rams have traditionally had a good run game despite having some of the worst sets of receivers in the league.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Great News! (Bernard ready for camp) - Shake n Blake - 08-02-2017, 11:29 AM