Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bengals Turned Down 2nd Rounder
(08-10-2017, 10:18 PM)Whatever Wrote: I really don't get this philosophy.  Why sign backups and draft depth players, then?  That's just planning to fail.  By this logic, every team should just roll with a rookie UDFA QB every year because the season is over once the starter goes down.  Of course, the Pats won a SB with a backup QB named Brady, but whatever.  I guess the Texans didn't get the memo when they beat us with their 3rd stringer a few years back.

I personally believe McCarron is a game manager, but that's still worth a lot more than a 2nd in today's NFL. There's a reason why teams make ridiculous draft day trades for the chance to draft a top prospect and back the Brinks truck up to the doors of guys like Osweiler and Glennon.  If I buy a new car, I'm not just going to sell the old one for half of it's blue book value just because the only reason I'm going to drive it is my new one's in the shop.  

To this point, McCarron has proven to be at least good enough to beat bad teams.  With our schedule this year, we play a lot of bad teams.  If Andy goes down for a lengthy period, I do think McCarron can keep us in the playoff hunt.  With Driskel, the season is probably over.  

The other big part of this equation is that Marvin is in a contract year. With his job on the line,he's going to hang his fist on the table to keep the backup QB he knows he can win with, and unless someone blows Mike away with a deal, it's not going to happen. The positive here is, there's no excuses for Lewis.  

McCarron really doesn't have a leg to stand on in his case.  A player has to be on a full pay roster list for at least 6 games to accrue a season towards FA.  He was on the active roster for three games his rookie year, and the NFI the rest of the year.  The NFI is not a full pay list.  For a player on the NFI, the team literally gets to choose how much they pay the player, from $0.00 all the way up to their normal salary.  If McCarron's argument is that the Bengals chose to pay him his full salary while he was on the NFI, so he should accrue a season, he's going to get massive resistance from the NFLPA.  Even if he somehow wins, the owners are going to dick over every player that goes on the NFI to ensure they hold their rights another year.

That is my point.

It has nothing to do with not having back-ups and having depth but to turn down a 2nd round pick because you are afraid Dalton will go down??? Depth at WR, OL, LB, every team does that, but look around the league at back-ups for QBs. Everyone has a game manager at #2, some guy that can come in and run the basic offense and hopefully not turn the ball over.

With the exception of New England, who is grooming their #2 to take over for Brady sooner rather then later, I can't think of any other team that turns down a 2nd round pick for their back-up QB. And, game managing QBs can be had via free agency. Christian Ponder is sitting on a boat fishing somewhere, hell RG3 is sitting around looking for a gig, Kaep is unsigned, and there will be more guys cut coming up as camp moves forward. All 3 of those guys could fill in and game manage as well as McCarron. If someone wants to overpay for him with a 2nd round pick...you have to make the move.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bengals Turned Down 2nd Rounder - McC - 08-11-2017, 04:04 AM
RE: Bengals Turned Down 2nd Rounder - McC - 08-11-2017, 11:47 AM
RE: Bengals Turned Down 2nd Rounder - Murdock2420 - 08-10-2017, 10:37 PM
RE: Bengals Turned Down 2nd Rounder - McC - 08-11-2017, 02:12 PM
Bengals Turned Down 2nd Rounder - BenZoo2 - 08-11-2017, 11:44 AM
RE: Bengals Turned Down 2nd Rounder - 'E' - 08-11-2017, 12:54 PM
RE: Bengals Turned Down 2nd Rounder - 'E' - 08-11-2017, 02:32 PM