Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Teams generally play vanilla defenses in the preseason
(08-12-2017, 11:52 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I see some people concerned about our pass rush...but teams generally only use vanilla defensive plays in the preseason as to not reveal all the wrinkles for the regular season.

Our defense will be fine.

It also makes it really hard to know how an offensive line is performing.

Just this past week, Jurrell Casey of the Titans was on the Sirius Training Camp Tour stating that they have a small playbook, and what they are showing now in the preseason will be the same thing they run during the season.  To them it doesn't matter if you already know all of their plays, which one will it be?  Even if you know exactly what the play is beforehand, their mindset is you can't stop them regardless.

I'm not trying to counter Pistons point.  I'm re-enforcing it.  Occasionally you can assemble an enormous amount of talent and have a guy like Lebeau instill that kind of confidence and be successful in doing so, but more likely you will keep the cards close to the vest as the element of surprise can sometimes be enough to topple a superior opponent.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Teams generally play vanilla defenses in the preseason - jfkbengals - 08-13-2017, 12:06 AM