Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Mike Mitchell Continues To Play Steelers' Football!
(10-21-2017, 06:04 PM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: Does anyone else remember when the smack forum used to be fun?

(10-21-2017, 11:39 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: You mean like about 5 or 6 years ago.

Yes, but those days are sadly long gone.

(10-21-2017, 11:47 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Actually, once upon a time it really was fun. 

See, once upon a time there was good natured smacking of teams between fans that actually still respected the other fan-base and there was actually some intelligent debates and some...not so intelligent debates (Madieu Williams vs Troy P rings a bell).  Whatever

But the real thing that is different between then and now, is the people. See, when the smack forum was at its' best, a troll was a troll. It didn't matter if it was a steeler fan trolling, Brown fan, Raven fan or Bengal fan. When people showed up and said and did stupid stuff, the entire board went after them. 

The garbage that gets posted here now by some members, not naming names but it is pretty obvious who, would have been called out and shut down by their own fans as much as by opposing fans. 

Now, it is literally a situation where it is 75% trolling and just "ya momma" type of comments. Our guy is dirty but your guy is dirtier....oh boy...such smack. And..."what have you guys ever won" Oh boy...such smack...how did we not realize this team never won a Super Bowl....just weak and pathetic type of garbage now. 

It was fun..... doubtful it ever will be again. It's why most of the people who used to be highly active in smack (Beaker, The Bat, StealyJ, 34, etc, etc, etc) have all either kinda stopped or just didn't move over here. 

Hell, my own posting style in here anymore reflects how much this place has gone down hill. I really view most of the opposing fans who post here as bored trolls, most mind you. There is still some that come here and can be rational and some from the old board, but they are the minority.

(10-22-2017, 11:49 AM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: This, this, and some more of this. 

I'm not even sure that some of the trolls are bored.  I think some of them are so sincere in what they say that they aren't even aware of their own trollish-ness.  I'll take the high road like you and not name names, but of course we know who they are. 

It's almost as if for some there is an actual psychological need to sincerely attack the other team and their fans and make them look bad and belittle them, and not in a good-natured-jest kind of way.  There are examples of that type of smack from just about every fanbase represented here, but those will only ever recognize it in the smack of opposing fans because their homer blinders are on.  And not only that, but they'll project their own use of that style onto their perception of fans that aren't even doing it - "Typical Steeler/Bengal/Ravens fan!", etc..  Oops, did I give some identities away there?   Nervous

At any rate, we need more guys like the ones you mentioned.  Bat, SteelyJ, 34 ... okay ... maybe not Beaker so much.  Wink Of course, I'm only saying that because I know he still visits the boards occasionally... but don't tell him that!  ;-)
It sure would be nice if we could get some of that back. 

Oh, the nostalgia. It's interesting, I used to be much more active in Smack back in those days. It was such a good time. The atmosphere certainly changed after certain events, and unfortunately, it didn't reset with the transition to this new board. When that change in atmosphere happened is when I kind of moved towards more of the non-football conversations and why I hardly ever venture over here.

(10-22-2017, 11:53 AM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: The more I think about it the more I remember that one of the things that made it great back then was that some trolls were actually fun in that atmosphere. Remember Steelman, the man of 1000 aliases?

Oh, that was a great one. What was the name of the guy with Arnold as his avatar? He was a good one to have around, too.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mike Mitchell Continues To Play Steelers' Football! - Belsnickel - 10-22-2017, 04:07 PM