Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When is it ok to hate Burfict?
(12-05-2017, 10:12 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: This entire Steelers vs Bengals rivalry, and Burfict in particular, is really one of the most fascinating sociological situations I have ever seen. As I read all the comments on social media and heard from different people in my family and at my workplace, it became clear to me that player safety, while being the focal point of this entire discussion, is really the last thing anyone cares about. I had people go out of their way to find me at work to tell me "Burfict got what he deserved, I hate that guy"...

I started compiling a list in my head of the teams' fans who IMO have the right to hate Burfict.
  • Steelers, they have every right to hate the guy. He inadvertently ended Bell's season and purposely leveled AB in the playoffs. It makes sense for them to hate Burfict
  • Panthers, Burfict did these guys wrong, I can understand the hate for Burfict
  • Packers, Remember the ball taps? We all do, and that is why I am OK with them hating the guy
  • Ravens/Browns, I expect them to hate him, he is a good divisional player
But after those teams, I can't really think of any other teams he has wronged... The Chiefs maybe... for preseason? I doubt it...

Yet here I am at work, where a San Francisco fan and a Bears fan tell me Burfict "finally got what was coming to him" in two separate conversations... what?

Back to the original issue... people dislike the guy for his tendency to put other players in harm.. so he deserves it right back? It's the same logic that murderers need murdering and rapists need raping. An eye for an eye! The player safety issue isn't about player safety at all.

At the end of the day, Fans complain when it effects THEM. They only care when THEIR team's player get hurt. Any other team's guy getting smashed is a laughable matter (unless he is on their fantasy team ala Vontaze taking Bell out inadvertently)

The best part is, shoving the Vontaze Villain story down every NFL fans throat over and over, alongside the fact that most fans have probably never seen ANY Bengals game other than a Steelers/Bengals matchup, makes the narrative stick even harder.

I'd recommend realizing that the average NFL fan has a completely propagandized view of the Cincinnati Bengals before getting too upset over social media and peoples opinions on the matter.

There is nothing we can personally do about it. 

There's a huge difference between being a "murky" (?) sports figure vs a terrible human being. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: When is it ok to hate Burfict? - jason - 12-05-2017, 11:47 PM
RE: When is it ok to hate Burfict? - BMK - 12-07-2017, 01:06 PM
RE: When is it ok to hate Burfict? - Hoofhearted - 12-07-2017, 11:08 AM