Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
With a new coach is window still open for core group?
Again, if we have a new coaching staff and they are allowed to pick their guys, some of these guys may not be the guys they want. I understand fans become connected to players, I do too. If a new coaching staff decides they want to bring in different players that better fit what they're trying to do, some of these guys could be traded and allowed to walk. If that is to be the case, I'd prefer trading them and getting what we can instead of letting them walk and hoping for high compensatory picks.

Not really sure how much power/authority/control a new head coach will be given, but if he wants to make changes, rebuild, or bring in his own guys, you have to let that process play out. If you want the good that comes with a new coach, you also have to accept the potential bad in that coach may not want to keep the players you like. Athleticism and talent are great, but you also want the players to fit the schemes you're trying to build or run. Honestly, if we were to try and become a run first team, a guy like Dalton isn't necessary under center. While people can hate on him all they want, he's an above average passer. If we're only wanting to throw 20-25 time a game, you can trade Dalton for all you can get, have an offensive identity as a run first team, and bring in a new/different QB to run the system. That may not be what a new coach may want to do, but I was just using that as an example of a part of the core being able to be moved. Green would kind of fall into that group as well. If passing isn't going to be the identity, do you need a high priced WR who's getting a handful of looks a game or invest that money in more maulers on the OLine to open up holes for the RBs?

Once we see who the potential new coach is and what direction he wants to go, a lot of this will become more clear. Especially finding out how much he's going to be allowed to run his team. I don't want to see some of those guys in different uniforms, but if they don't fit what the new coach is trying to do, I understand if some of them are gone.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: With a new coach is window still open for core group? - muskiesfan - 12-13-2017, 05:11 PM