Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Star Wars Reactions (Spoilers)
My son (17) and I watched it. He generally loves everything Star Wars, but has the same teen attitude of hating everything else. We both pretty well hated it. I spoke to two of my closest friends who love all-things Star Wars... they both loved the movie.

Lots of spoilers below.

To me, what they did wrong:
— Forced humor. From the opening scene on, there were too many forced jokes. And the opening scene pretty well wasted Hux as being anything intimidating again ever. I spent the rest of the movie wondering if someone was going to say "Hey, Huxie, your fly is down" and then laugh when he looked. Or maybe a character look at the camera and wink.

— Irrelevant deaths. Or non deaths, like Finn.

He spent most of the movie as an irrelevant character. Had a chance to became an important part of the franchise and then... nope... irrelevant again. They shouldn't have given him any speaking lines this movie, his irrelevancy could have been achieved with a cardboard cut out lugged around by the mechanic chick.

Then there's Luke. What a waste. Basically his role in this movie was to buy the remaining rebels time to escape. They killed off arguably one of the franchise's top 5 characters for the same thing a well placed thermite grande would've done.

And Snoke. Who wrote this ****ing story, Stephen King? He's the only guy I know who builds up characters to be ultimate badd asses... and then has them be so disappointing. Oh, and that's about the same story as Phasma.

"You can't stop me! My armor can withstand point blank blaster shots... oops, oh craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap!"

— As mentioned, major plot holes. Or just stuff left out.
We're in the second movie and there's still no word of what BenRen did with the padawans he took after fighting Luke. Are those the guards in Snoke's chamber? Did he eat them?

Really a huge missed opportunity to introduce some much needed action here.

And when is the Empire going to learn to stop putting giant, poorly defended holes in the middle of their ultimate death machines? One X-Wing and some bombs easily took out the biggest ship they have? Jeez.

— Bad storytelling/directing
The final scene on the salt planet was one of the better ones, but the entire speeder fight felt like a Fast & the Furious movie. They were going in one direction and slamming the throttle forward constantly. I kept feeling like Dominic Toretto was going to pull alongside Poe, give a two finger salute, down shift and then there would be a cutscene with the Death Star blowing up.

Does that make sense? No... and neither did half this movie.

I will say, though, that the light speed suicide jump was well done. That, and the credits. Other than that, what a freaking horrible movie.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Star Wars Reactions (Spoilers) - Benton - 12-18-2017, 04:26 PM