Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Star Wars Reactions (Spoilers)
(12-18-2017, 04:12 PM)Wyche Wrote: I agree.

I don't get the hate for it.  It was a lot of fun to watch, and brought back a lot of memories from my childhood.

I can't see it as being even in the same breath as the prequels.  They weren't even entertaining......and then add Jar Jar to the whole mix?  Yeah, this was a MUCH better film.

There were some parts that were questionable, like Leia surviving space....but overall, I liked the movie, and was entertained by it.  It's not "A New Hope", or "Empire Strikes Back", but it was maybe better than "Return of the Jedi".  

I see a lot of hate for the midget furry pseudo-penguin thingies. I barely even noticed them. Nowhere near as obnoxious/prevalent as Jar Jar or the Ewoks.

I feel like since VII was essentially a remake of IV, people went into VIII expecting Empire. That's a really stinking high bar to put out there. I feel like Johnson did an excellent job with callbacks and paying homage to both Empire and RotJ without copying the same formula and managed to make his own movie, flaws and all.

It's an unpopular opinion, but I also like how Last Jedi treated some of the wildly unnecessary subplots. Last Jedi already ran a little long. Throwing in more Phasma, Knights of Ren, Snoke Backstory etc would have made the movie feel even more bloated. And the Snoke death certainly served (at least for me) as the "holy shit!" moment a la the "I am your father."

I think that today's day and age of endless speculation and spoiler hunting is what hyped up those characters like Phasma, Snoke, and Knights of Ren. So many people looking to read articles about all these different possibilities of what they could do or mean and suddenly they are seen as these big important cogs in the story.

Frankly, I feel like they need to get away from the Skywalker family and just do something new. The franchise feels torn between trying to break off from Luke, Leia, and Han and trying to sustain itself on people's fond memories of the trio. Since last Jedi had plenty of callbacks to both episode V and VI, I'm hoping that IX can mostly stand on its own.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Star Wars Reactions (Spoilers) - CKwi88 - 12-18-2017, 04:35 PM