Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Paul Daugherty: If Lewis is out, shouldn't Dalton follow?
(12-20-2017, 07:54 PM)Stonyhands Wrote: All that shows me is that Dalton is incapable of making those around him better...like the good to great QBs of this league who you can plug damn near anybody in and they will still succeed.  

Your stats show that Andy hasn’t had all the pieces around him in place and therefore that’s the reason why we haven’t won it all.  

Name an average QB that went to the playoffs with the best o-line, WR1-WR3, TEs, and RBs and won a Super Bowl.  Oh, and they can’t be a team that had a top 3 defense.  

Problem is that teams should always be searching to have a QB who can elevate the players around them despite the conditions.  It seems easier  to find 1 guy like that than having to have an entire defense completely stacked with talent...I say easier but you have to be looking or it’s not going to happen.

I was addressing the narrative that Dalton has only produced when his situation has been amazing. Now that I've proven that's he's produced while rarely having a great situation, you want to switch the narrative to "he can't lift his teammates". This doesn't even make sense. Dalton can't make the RB's average a better YPC. He can't block for himself. He can't make guys like Simpson, Binns and Uzomah be something they're not. He got them to produce, sure...but they were still garbage players.

Smh. I'll go ahead and play along even though you missed the point. Since your criteria is winning a Super Bowl, I'll ask you to provide a list of good-to-great QB's who have won the whole shebang with an inefficient run game (20th or worse in YPC), a weak TE and WR2, while getting sacked 40+ times.

As for your question, nobody said Dalton needed "the best o-line, WR1-WR3, TEs, and RBs". You're purposely exaggerating and creating a strawman there. Dalton can and has made the playoffs 5 times with far less than that. He's 10th among active players in passer rating too. The only question is why he (the team) hasn't been able to win in the playoffs. I put that onus on Marvin. The guy who hasn't been able to get it done with 4 different QB's.

Dalton is basically Bobby Hebert to Marvin's Jim Mora. Hebert was awful in the playoffs, going 0-3 with a 57.1 rating...but he was coached by Jim Mora, who lost another playoff game with the Saints. Those QB's combined to go 11 of 34 with 3 INT's and a sparkling 11.0 rating. Then Mora moves on to Indy, where he coaches the great Peyton Manning to an 0-2 record in the playoffs with a 70.9 rating. This is when Peyton earned a choker label that took him years to get rid of. 

People need to realize that a HC can and does affect QB performance, as well as a teams performance in big moments. Coaches have a major impact despite so many on here inexplicably believing they don't.

---------------------------------------------------

To your comment about it being easier to find 1 guy (QB) rather than building a team around a good-not-great QB, I'll say this. Tell that to Russell Wilson. Tell that to Eli Manning, Drew Brees or Andrew Luck. When these good QB's had great talent around them, they've led their teams deep in the playoffs. When the talent around them stunk, what happened to their teams? Did they overcome and lead them anywhere?

Brees missed the playoffs how many times in a row before they fixed their run game and defense this year? Luck's team fell apart and so did he. Wilson is about to miss the playoffs because the Seahawks are falling apart. Poor Eli needs to run away from New York. Did these guys "elevate their teammates"? 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Paul Daugherty: If Lewis is out, shouldn't Dalton follow? - Shake n Blake - 12-20-2017, 09:10 PM