Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Ownership philosophy is the problem
(01-09-2018, 05:59 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Bengals get as much, if not more, out of rookies and young players as the average NFL team.

These numbers do not include 2017, but they cover 10 years so it does not make much difference.

According to profootballreference over the last ten years there have been 227 different rookies who started at least 14 games. Since there are 32 teams that is an average of 7.1 per team. Over the last ten years the Bengals have 7 different rookies who have started at least 14 games.

When we expand it beyond just rookie seasons it does not change very much. Looking at the first three seasons of every player's career over the last 10 years there were 785 who had at least one season with at least 14 starts in his first three years. That is an average of 24.5 per team, and the Bengals have had 24.

233 players had two seasons with at least 14 starts in their first 3 years. That is an average of 7.6 per team and the Bengals have had 7.

Only 80 players started at least 14 games in each of their first three seasons. That is an average of 2.5 per team and the Bengals have had 3.

I wasn't talking about the average across the teams. I was specifically referring to the Saints and Falcons, both teams who have gotten a lot of production out of many of their rookies, 2nd years, and 3rd years in the past few seasons. Plus I said PRODUCTION, not just games started. To me, there's a difference.

Saints:
Michael Thomas (2)
Ryan Ramczyk ®
Alvin Kamara ®
Sheldon Rankins (2)
Marcus Lattimore ®
Marcus Williams ®
Vonn Bell (2)

Falcons:
Austin Hooper (2)
Tevin Coleman (3)
Grady Jarrett (3)
Vic Beasley (3)
Deion Jones (2)
Takkarist McKinley ®
DeVondre Campbell (2)
Keanu Neal (2)
Brian Poole (2)

Wes Schweitzer (2) is also starting guard be he hasn't been very good, so I didn't count him in the above list.

Bengals started some young players, sure. But they didn't have good seasons and it's a part of why they have had a losing record the past two seasons.
Tyler Boyd (good last year, hardly anything this year)
Trey Hopkins (not good this year)
Cedric Ogbuehi (bad every year)
Jake Fisher (not good, inconsistent at best)
Josh Shaw (looked good previous two seasons, but not good this year)
Nick Vigil (not good this year)
Andrew Billings + Ryan Glasgow (struggled this year)

IMO they did get good production from the following young players:
Joe Mixon
Tyler Kroft
Carl Lawson
Jordan Willis
William Jackson III

But for all of the above, Kroft was the only starter and that was only due to injury. IMO Mixon, Lawson, Willis, and WJ3 got too few snaps and deserved more.

EDIT - Also, welcome back!
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ownership philosophy is the problem - ochocincos - 01-10-2018, 11:07 AM