Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possible Free Agents Bengals could look at.
(01-18-2018, 03:12 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I agree with this approach but would broaden to include other Centers beyond Jensen.

PFF scores for 2017:
Jensen (#9 Center) - 74.9 (average)
Sullivan (#10 Center) - 74.6 (average)
Richburg - 71.3 (average)

These guys are all set to hit FA and are right about the same scores.
Jensen and Richburg are 26 years old so they'll likely land a big, multi-year deal. But either would be big improvements over Bodine.
Sullivan was also really good but he's 32 years old, so he should come cheaper than both Jensen and Richburg.
Sullivan seems like a good target if the Bengals are going to bargain shop for a 1-2 stopgap deal. Could then still draft a replacement to groom or groom Redmond or Westerman truly at C while the other focuses solely on OG.

Personally, I consider C to be the second-most important position on the OL behind LT and we're seeing teams starting to pay centers like it, so get a mainstay at the position like Richburg or Jensen and don't look back.

Sullivan being 32 scares me because you know that Mike also sees that and will try and get him at a bargained price, rather than going for the best option.  You also need to consider that  he's reaching the age for linemen when he will most likely begin to drop off dramatically, even if he's good for another year or two.

I agree with center being the second-most important position on the offensive line but I don't think it's too far behind left tackle, especially in this division, because you can always have a back double-check or flat-out help block the blindside on pass plays, but you can't really do much if your center is getting blown into the backfield on every play. You also need the center to be the quarterback of the line to make the right protection calls.

I'm praying that Mike sees Jensen and just does whatever needs to be done to get him here and doesn't just put out half-ass efforts in free agency.

I can't even imagine just having a guy like Jensen controlling the middle of our offensive line........  it's so amazing of a thought, but I know better than to get my hopes up.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Possible Free Agents Bengals could look at. - BFritz21 - 02-25-2018, 08:55 PM