Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Jon Kitna interviewing for QB coach
(01-10-2018, 03:55 PM)Wyche Wrote: Well, I get that, but some good QBs have played for some very bad teams, and put up good numbers despite it.  I like to look at YPC, YPA, Comp. %, TD-INT ratio, rushing numbers, and rating as to how good a QB is.  I just don't put much stock in QBR.  Seems like a last gasp effort for ESPN NFL coverage to remain relevant to me.

EVERY QB rating metric will be flawed.  There is simply no way to take in to account things like AJ Green dropping 7 balls, the offensive line sucking ass, a horrible offensive coordinator, etc.  The metric is supposed to give folks a way of comparing QBs to each other and have endless debates (like this one started as a QB coach thread).

Dalton, for whatever reason, gets little to no respect from the league.  But having watched him play for a fairly long time now, in person, I can tell you that he is every bit as capable of winning a Super Bowl as QBs like Manning, Piggy, Prescott, etc. but he is a tier below (IMHO) the Brady, Brees, and Rogers of the league. 

I was so happy with the drafting of Ross.  Having a vertical (that is NOT all he does) threat opposite AJ Green should have paid huge dividends.  Hell, look at the second contracts of Sanu and Jones.  But, in typical Bengal fashion, it has become a pissing match with the HC for playing time and now I can't help but think the kid is doomed for taking it to social media.  I saw such potential with him and Core opposite Green.  Green getting a few snaps off for Malone.  Boyd and Lafell in rotation in the slot.  Alas, none of it happened and Dalton was saddled with a big fat ZERO in terms of WRs that generate immediate separation.  None.  That is a death sentence in a quick-hit, timing offense.  

When Dalton has had even average WR talent around him, he has been at or near the top of the league in most categories.  I hope they further develop Kroft and Uzomah at TE, Core, Malone, and Ross at WR, and Boyd for the slot and Lafell needs to find work elsewhere.  The rushing attack COULD be better if they don't fall back in to the "Well, Hopkins isn't that bad, Ced isn't that bad" trap.  They need Westerman pushing Bodine, Redmond at RG, and new tackles on both sides.  

Do this, and Dalton will shine.  Don't do this, and they will be grinding out another 5-7 win season.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Jon Kitna interviewing for QB coach - SHRacerX - 01-11-2018, 09:46 AM