Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Does Tomlin still ride Cowher's coattails?
(01-11-2018, 12:47 PM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: How many Super Bowls did Cowher win without Ben?

How many did Noll win without Bradshaw?  Or Bellicheck without Brady?  Dungy without Manning?  Landry without Staubach? Lombardi without Starr?  Madden without Stabler? Here's a hint: combined, it's the same number as Bengal Super Bowl wins over the years ...

I get what you're implying, but if having a great QB disqualifies coaches from being considered great, we'd have to eliminate a huge portion of the generally accepted pantheon.  Nearly every coach I mentioned above is either in the Hall of Fame or will be some day, and NONE of them won the Super Bowl without a Hall of Fame-level quarterback.  It has been done, but very few of the historically great coaches have done it.

I wouldn't say it disqualifies them, but i'd like to see how they do when they have to find that new franchise QB and how they do with him, to see how his HC abilities are then perceived. 

Your OP asked about the team--if he's still riding the coat tails. I'd say that's kind of hard to judge when you have a future HOF QB in his prime. The team continues do draft and acquire talent, but i've seen how that team has done when Ben has been down for a period of time. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Does Tomlin still ride Cowher's coattails? - rfaulk34 - 01-11-2018, 03:33 PM