Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Made my first radio commercial today
(01-20-2018, 05:18 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Exactly what the title says. Our company has decided to try and advertise on the radio seeking truck drivers. For those of you who know, this is one of the toughest careers to recruit in. It's not my voice on the radio, only my words. My first write was about 90 seconds. My second 65 seconds, 3rd was 35 seconds. Lot's of editing and seeking the right punch words to bring out the best of our company in 30 seconds. On Monday, it will be aaired for the next 30 days on K99.1fm (country) and WHIO Radio AM/FM. Kind of proud in a little kid sorta way because its the first time I've ever done it. Now I just hope for the payoff as radio advertising isn't cheap. 

That takes me back, about 23 years.  I was working in a radio station, while I finished my degree in Mass Comm.  I was excited, full-time job, salaried position (brace yourself) of a whopping $1200/mo., for the privilege of working 6 days and being on call on Sunday!

Anyway, one of my duties that I really looked forward to was doing the voice overs for the ads that the Sales Staff had sold the previous week.  It was my time to shine, get my voice out there, you know..  So one ad is for a local used car dealer, regular advertiser.  After all of their standard ad crap, they had specials of the week listed.  There must have been 16 vehicles and prices listed.  I'm thinking, "how in the heck am I going to fit all of that, into 30 seconds?".  So, I got creative, used the old reel to reel recorder.  Slowed down the tape to get them all in, using a normal speaking voice.  I did it!  I felt like I had created a masterpiece.

The next day, I come in and there's a memo on my desk.  It read something along the lines of;  Wow, I really appreciate your effort and creativity in getting all of that copy into the 30 second spot.  However, it is not necessary to list every possible special of the week, those are only suggestions to fill the remaining time in the ad.  As it is recorded, you sound like the damn auctioneer at the hog market.  Please redo and upload, immediately.

I was crushed..
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Made my first radio commercial today - SunsetBengal - 01-22-2018, 07:06 PM