Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Rotoworld - Bengals want Russell Bodine back
(02-07-2018, 07:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Not when he was not favored to win many of those games because the other team had more talent.

You do realize lesser teams or underdog teams sometimes beat better/favored teams in the postseason, correct? How many times have the Bengals done it under Lewis?

Quote:Do you think Belichick does not try as hard to win in the regular season as he does in the playoffs? I don't.

I think Belichick wants to win every single game he coaches, just as every coach does. He's also proven he can rise to the challenges of postseason play.

Marvin has yet to prove he can win a single playoff game.

Quote:Do you think Mike Shanahan, Rex Ryan, and Gary Kubiak are better postseason coaches than Belichick?  They have all beaten him in the playoffs.   

They are coaches that achieved different levels of success in the postseason...but no, they aren't better than Belichick because Belichick is arguably the greatest of all-time.

Also, it doesn't change the fact that Marvin hasn't beaten anyone in the playoffs.

Quote:John Harbaugh has has a winning record against Belichick in the postseason.  Does that mean John is a better coach the Bill?

Again, Harbaugh was a good coach who was able to achieve a level of success in the postseason, but Belichick is perhap the greatest of all-time. So no, Harbaugh isn't better.

And once again, Marvin hasn't won a single playoff game.

Quote:The answer is that you can not judge a coach on a small sample size.  You can't say that Belichicks 11 postseason losses in don't count because he has won other postseason games.  If it really was all about coaching then Bill would never have lost any of those.  Losing in the playoffs is about a bunch of different things like talent, matchups, and sometimes just plain luck.  The fact that Marvin has lost 3 playoff games where he was favored does not mean it is impossible for him to win in the postseason.  that is just too small of a sample size.

You're point about Belichick here has no bearing on the reality of Marvin's failures. Of course Belichick's losses count. His teams lost those games and they're a part of his record. However, there is this thing called perspective. When you balance Belichick's losses with all the playoffs wins, SB appearances and Championships...it's fairly obvious that he's probably the best ever at competing in the postseason.

When you look at Marvin's playoff record, and apply the same perspective, you see that he has failed in the postseason in a way that defies probability. Only one coach in the entire history has failed to win a playoff game with at least 7 appearances and 15 seasons. Only one.

Quote:And you can't just brush this off as being crazy to compare Marvin to Bill.  That is not what I am doing.  Instead I am using Belichick as an example because most people here would consider him one of the greatest postseason coaches of all time yet he has 11 post season losses.

Yeah, I agree that using Belichick in an way, shape or form to make any type of analogy or comparison to a coach that has set NFL records in playoff futility would be absolutely crazy.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Rotoworld - Bengals want Russell Bodine back - Bengalholic - 02-07-2018, 10:03 PM