Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Rotoworld - Bengals want Russell Bodine back
(02-08-2018, 01:37 AM)fredtoast Wrote: And the exact same things apply to both regular season and playoff games, correct?

That is what gets me.  People claim that there is some special secret that applies to winning in the post season but does not exist during the regular season.  I just don't see that.

Some even claim that Marvin only wins during the regular season because other coaches don't try as hard.  This makes no sense because all the best teams want to win as many regular season games as possible.

Fred, you've clearly never played sports on any kind of meaningful or high end level. Which is fine, of course. That doesn't make you any less of a fan, but you clearly have no understanding of the pressure of the moment. Pressure makes diamonds as I had a coach tell me once before a state tournament final. Marvin and his QB, as well as a few others, have cracked under it while the teams they have matched up against haven't. Wins on National TV are super rare. In fact, it's usually an embarrassing loss. And the playoffs have been the ultimate butt clinch for Marvin.

It's really that simple. A perfect example of a team and coach NOT cracking under pressure was the Eagles 4th and 1 TD in the 2nd quarter of the Superbowl. Marvin Lewis would have kicked the field goal in that game and in that situation or his team wouldn't have been prepared to run a successful play. Czan't you just picture them lining up to go for it and a false start leading to a field goal attempt in that situation? That's not a real leap to see that as likely. There's 15 years worth of failure in big moments to match against a sprinkling of successes backing this lack of confidence up. Its not like year 3 people were saying this stuff. It's year 15.

You're right in the sense that it's the same game. Only, with high stakes. Marvin isn't a high stakes winner. He's not mentaly built that way. Even 1 win at this point and it wouldn't change that narrative, IMO. He has to win big with a deep run (Superbowl) or have several years with playoff success to show that he's any different.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Rotoworld - Bengals want Russell Bodine back - PDub80 - 02-08-2018, 08:31 PM