Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Rotoworld - Bengals want Russell Bodine back
(02-08-2018, 08:38 PM)PDub80 Wrote: This got me thinking.

In 15 years under Marvin I would rather the Bengals go to 3 AFC championship games and then lose the other 12 seasons than I would lose in the first round every other year. So, basically, every 5 seasons they're good enough to make a run at it vs. being the first one voted off the island every 2 seasons. At least in the AFC Championship game you could say they were close or could maybe make it. At that point, I would think Marvin was a hell of a coach.

This is my personal view as well. Consistently making the playoffs but never winning a game shows me they have been consistently good but not great.
And that is something to be happy about because there are plenty of franchises who would kill to have that kind of consistency.
Making the AFC Championship game though, to me, is viewed as being on that next tier.

And I think if you broaden the scope outside of football, do you think that someone working toward Summa Cum Laude but ends up missing it by just a bit thinks, "Well, I'm still higher ranked than 98% of my class"? Nope, they are thinking what could they have done differently to get that distinction because they don't compare themselves to the rest of the group. They only compare themselves with the other elite.

There are plenty of sports fans that approach their team with that same mindset once their team starts having some level of success but has not reached the pinnacle.
And I think for Bengals fans especially that suffered through the "dark age", they don't want to see any indication whatsoever of the team going anywhere close to that.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Rotoworld - Bengals want Russell Bodine back - ochocincos - 02-09-2018, 10:58 AM