Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did Andy have the worst offensive supporting cast?
(03-02-2018, 02:28 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I am 100% behind the idea that Marvin gets the largest portion of blame. Absolutely NO QUESTION. But, I also believe that it's the players whose job is to play. Because that's their job, they get blame as well. On any football team, the QB, to me, deserves a lot of blame for a team's struggle. There are circumstances, of course, that need to be reviewed on a game by game, season by season basis, but the QB is the most unique position in terms of influence and control over the game. So, when the team fails, I look at the QB play 1st.

For the overall team performances regular season and playoffs, I would say Marvin gets 50% of the blame from me overall. Then, I would put Andy Dalton at 30% with the rest of the team getting 20%. But, keep in mind... Andy Dalton is ONE player where the rest of the team is spread out over many players. So, I look at him and think he needs to get 10% to 15% of that blame out of his game. That would have the Bengals playing much better.

The QB play dictates so much. Not just offense, but field position and, thus, defense as well. Like, if he only had 2 turnovers against the Ravens in the first game of the season and was on for a drive or two, that game is won by the Bengals. If he finds a way to scramble on a broken play here or there they beat the Packers and they beat the Steelers that 2nd game and are in the playoffs. Same thing with the close games in 2016. If Dalton finds a rhythm for ONE drive in some 4th quarters they win 4 more games at least! The Bengals are super talented all over. They really are. But that one position kills them more than any other if he has a horrible day.

People are talking about Andy's supporting cast and I'm like, put Ben on the Bengals and Andy on the Steelers and, other than date rape statistics, the Bengals are way better. They crush the Steelers. CRUSH THEM. The Bengals need great QB play. Not average. Average gets you out of the 1st round or missing the playoffs. Andy's been average with the exception of 1 season. The head coach is below average, but they've been in position to win if the QB had made a play. He has to make a play first. The BEngals stink on broken plays where other teams do well. Even if the coaches haven't instituted it, 7 seasons in and he hasn't said or just gathered the skill guys up and said "Here's the plan on a broken play."? I mean... get with it, AD. Own the position.

I can get on board with a whole lot of this.  As to the broken plays.....a lot of that is on 14, but what is really maddening is I rarely see our WRs breaking back the LOS on a busted play.  WTF is up with that?  Have you noticed that, or is it just me?

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Did Andy have the worst offensive supporting cast? - Wyche'sWarrior - 03-02-2018, 02:36 PM