Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are the Browns now a threat for us to contend with?
(03-11-2018, 12:55 AM)Nately120 Wrote: It's possible they're all pretty close, but I'm getting flashbacks to stuff like:

If the Chargers don't get Manning, they'll still get Leaf and that might be better!
The Bengals could take Carson Palmer, or trade down and still get a guy like Byron Leftwich or Rex Grossman!
Andrew Luck or RGIII?  They could both be around for a decade or more!
The Jets took Ken O'Brien over Dan Marino...that could prove to be the safer bet!

Hell, here is an article about Blaine Gabbert leading the race against Cam Newton for the top QB.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/621052-cam-newton-vs-blaine-gabbert-the-great-debate

Again, I can't see the future, but the reason any team pays people to evaluate talent is because anyone can look at 5 guys who were good in college and say "Um, they all look purdy good!"  One of these QBs is going to be better than the others, and I'd say the NFL evidence leans towards one QB being better than the others and getting that QB being the main thing to rebuild the Browns.  The Browns aren't the type of franchise that can take the 3rd best QB in a draft and win with him (ala the Steelers and Ben versus Eli or Rivers), so they have to get this right and waiting to take a QB at 4 limits their chances of doing so.

Again, the Steelers will move heaven and earth to keep their 36 year old QB but they won't even give the best RB in the NFL who is in the prime of his career a long term deal.  Like I said, it's possible Barkley is so good and the QBs are so close in "goodness" that taking the RB is what will reboot the franchise but the guy is going to have to be the next OJ Simpson or Jim Brown to pull it off.  I'll admit that this is some intriguing stuff and I've even been listening to Browns-related podcasts to see what they're saying about all this.  So far I hear the guys running the show wanting a QB and the fans screaming for the RB, so it's interesting to be sure.

I can see Rosen's injury history and the fact that he said he doesn't want to play for the Browns being his downfall.  Baker Mayfield may not be Johhny Manziel, but he will be one step closer to it IF the Browns take him.  And so on.  I can see the Browns destroying any QB, though.  Still, the only decent QB they've had since they came back was the top QB in 1999 and it's all been late round guys and guys who weren't the top prospect since.

To be fair to RG3 Mike Shanahan ruined his career by rushing him back from that knee injury. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Are the Browns now a threat for us to contend with? - Bryan - 03-13-2018, 12:19 AM